[rdo-users] Update Openstack Ussuri and CentOS 8

Alfredo Moralejo Alonso amoralej at redhat.com
Wed Sep 1 15:16:46 UTC 2021

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 11:56 AM Benjamin Zapiec <zapiec at gonicus.de> wrote:

> Hello *,
>
> due to CentOS 8 being EOL to the end of this year I did some
> investigation on how to properly update and Openstack environment
> running CentOS 8 and Openstack Ussuri.
>
> If you just want to update the operation system it seems like
> there is no problem at all. Just do a
>
>  > dnf switch stream
> and
>  > dnf distro-sync
>
> Since openstack has proven its complexity i can't imagine that
> it is that simple if you are running an openstack environment
> on it :D

The basic process to update the OS should be just that. Note that the
process and the caveats may depend on the deployment tooling (tripleo,
kolla, packstack or custom one) and any customizations that you may have
done if so.

We will do some basic testing to do some advice about issues and
workarounds that you may need but note that you may hit different issues
depending on your case so the best recommendation is always test in a
non-production environment similar to production ones.

We will publish our findings.

> Any chance to update to CentOS stream without breaking the environment?
>
> If not I don't see any restrictions in updating both, the openstack
> version and the operating system version. But may you tell me if there
> is an migration path to successfully update from CentOS 8 to CentOS
> stream?
>
> Do i have to update CentOS before updating Openstack or wise versa?
> Do you have any information on how to update?

I would separate OS update and OpenStack update. I'd try to update OS
first, and then OpenStack version.