[rdo-users] TripleO Monitoring Tool/Method

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Mon Oct 26 10:18:06 UTC 2020

Hi,

that question is different.

In traditional telemetry, events are stored in panko. Depending on your
workload, you probably don't want this. That's why you'll always find
docs on how to disable it (if you have issues, you'll be looking for
solutions around panko)

ceilometer is listening to the message bus and emits events e.g to
panko, but that is also configurable to something else, e.g to stf.

In OSP 16.1 and sending data over to STF, ceilometer sends events only
over to STF, nowhere else (but that can be configured).
E.g there is a config option to publish events via amqp1[1],[2]

cadvisor and prometheus are for sending/collecting/storing metrics.
While you can also generate events from metrics (via rules, sent out via
alertmanager), this is nowhere real time.

Matthias

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/master/environments/metrics/ceilometer-write-qdr.yaml#L12
[2]