[rdo-users] [newsletter] RDO Community October Newsletter

Rain Leander rleander at redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 09:23:34 UTC 2018

If you're having trouble with the formatting, this newsletter is available
online https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2018/october/
---
Pour your favorite seasonal local brew into a Stein cause we're solidly
into the new release schedule
<https://releases.openstack.org/stein/schedule.html> - we're talking about
the rpm-packaging project, excited to see another round of Outreachy
applicants, and gearing up for OpenStack Summit Berlin.
Housekeeping Items Volunteers Needed for the RDO Booth at OpenStack Summit
Berlin

We are gearing up for OpenStack Summit Berlin
<https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/> where we'll have our
regular presence within the Red Hat booth. This fall we'll continue the
ManageIQ / RDO demo we started last year and we'd love to see your demos,
too! If you've got something you'd like to demo via video OR LIVE because
you're not afraid of ANYTHING, sign up
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/rdo-vancouver-summit-booth>.

We're also looking for people to spend their precious free time answering
questions <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/berlin-summit-community-pod> at
the RDO booth. If you're attending, please consider spending one or more of
your free moments with us. Questions run the gamut from "What's RDO?" to "I
found a bug in Neutron and need help troubleshooting it." Of course, you're
not expected to know everything and you can always keep IRC open to access
the RDO Community for help! Plus, you get cool stuff! If you show up for
three or more shifts, we're going to hook you up with an RDO hoodie.

Reach out to Rain Leander on IRC (leanderthal) or email (rain at redhat.com)
for more information.
RDO Changes The OpenStack RPM-packaging Project

Javier Pena started a discussion on the dev mailing list regarding our
involvement in the rpm-packaging project
<https://github.com/openstack/rpm-packaging>, specifically regarding how we
collaborate with people from other rpm-based distributions. We have been
successful in reusing some tools
<https://github.com/openstack/pymod2pkg> created
by that project <https://github.com/openstack/renderspec> but we've never
been able to reuse the spec file templates generated by the project,
besides openstack-macros and some python 3 tests done during the Rocky
cycle.

As a community, we need to decide what we want our involvement in the
project to be:

   - Only get involved in the tooling side, if we have no plans to reuse
   the spec templates in the future.
   - Try a deeper integration with the specs.
   - Other alternatives?

Each option will carry its own consequences, e.g. if we stop contributing
to the spec templates we should stop the 3rd party CI jobs and VMs that
support them. The conversation continues on the dev list
<https://lists.rdoproject.org/pipermail/dev/2018-September/008901.html>,
but we’d like to make a decision shortly.

If you’re keen, please join us at the weekly community meeting on #rdo on
Freenode irc. Or reply directly on the dev mailing list
<https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/dev>.
Community News Tentative Stein Test Dates Listed

The tentative Stein test day schedule is posted
<https://www.rdoproject.org/testday/> - please mention serious conflicts to
Rain rain at redhat.com so we can fix them before the the first milestone hits
Next Month.

   - Milestone1 01-02 November 2018
   - Milestone3 14-15 March 2019

Community Meetings

Every Wednesday at 15:00 UTC, we have the weekly RDO community meeting on
the #RDO channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting is posted
each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/RDO-Meeting> and the minutes from the
meeting are posted on the RDO website
<https://www.rdoproject.org/community/community-meeting/>. If there's
something you'd like to see happen in RDO - a package that is missing, a
tool that you'd like to see included, or a change in how things are
governed - this is the best time and place to help make that happen.

Every Thursday at 15:00 UTC, there is a weekly *CentOS Cloud SIG meeting*
on the #centos-devel channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting
is posted each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/centos-cloud-sig> and the minutes from
the meeting are posted on the RDO website
<https://www.rdoproject.org/contribute/cloud-sig-meeting/>. This meeting
makes sense for people that are involved in packaging OpenStack for CentOS
and for people that are packaging OTHER cloud infra thingies (OpenNebula,
CloudStack, Euca, etc) for CentOS. “Alone we can do so little; together we
can do so much.” - Helen Keller
OpenStack News Call for OpenStack Outreachy Applicants

OpenStack provides open source software for building public and private
clouds. We are constantly moving and growing and very excited to invite
newcomers to our community. To this end, the OpenStack Foundation has
joined the program Outreachy <https://www.outreachy.org/>

Outreachy helps people from groups underrepresented in free and open source
software get involved. We provide a supportive community for beginning to
contribute any time throughout the year and offer focused internship
opportunities twice a year with a number of free software organizations.

The current round of internships is open internationally to women (cis and
trans), trans men, and genderqueer people. Additionally, it's open to
residents and nationals of the United States of any gender who are
Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, American Indian, Alaska Native,
Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander. We are planning to expand the program
to more participants from underrepresented backgrounds in the future.

The application process is described in detail at
https://www.outreachy.org/apply. A contribution is required and you answer
questions when you apply. You are expected to work full-time on the
internship although you can indicate any pre-planned time off in your
application.

In order to make your application stronger, here are a few things you could
consider including:

   - Previously worked projects/coding experience. If it is docs, related
   experience if any
   - What do you intend to learn from the selected project? Or rationale
   behind choosing the specific project
   - How do you think this internship is going to help you achieve what you
   wanted?
   - Your next choice of projects if your first choice is not available

Also include information or link on your merged patch (which is a
requirement to be considered for the internship). Please be available and
responsive throughout the application period so we can work with you on
improving your application. The timeline for this round is:

Sept. 19, 2018 Applicants start making contributions to internship projects
Oct. 30, 2018 Application deadline Nov. 16, 2018 Accepted interns announced
Dec. 4, 2018 to March 4, 2019 Internships period
Recent and Upcoming Events CentOS Dojo / RDO Day at CERN

We’re super excited to host an RDO Day in conjunction with a CentOS Dojo
<https://indico.cern.ch/event/727150/> at CERN <https://home.cern/>. The
CentOS Dojos and RDO Days are one day events, organized around the world,
that bring together people from the CentOS Communities and RDO Communities
to talk about systems administration, OpenStack, best practices in Linux
centric activities, and emerging technologies of note. The emphasis is to
find local speakers and tutors to come together and talk about things that
they care about most, and to share stories from their experiences working
with CentOS in various scenarios.
OpenStack Summit Vancouver

There’s a lot happening in and around OpenStack Summit Berlin! Here are a
few highlights:

   - *Let’s Celebrate* We will definitely have an evening get together but
   the details are not ready in time for this newsletter! Keep your eye on the
   lists for the who, what, where, when, how so we can get together and
   celebrate the latest Rocky release and the RDO Community!
   - *RDO-Specific talks* We’re gathering a list of RDO-specific talks that
   will be happening at OpenStack Summit Berlin. If you haven’t already,
   please add yours to the list
   <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/OSSummit-RDOtalks>. We’ll be promoting
   these talks via social media prior to as well as during the conference.
   - *Looking for Volunteers* As mentioned <a
   name=”housekeeping”>above</a>, we’re looking for volunteers to spend time
   answering questions at the RDO booth. Please consider signing up for a
   shift <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/rdo-vancouver-summit-booth>.

OpenStack Stein Project Team Gathering

Just the facts, ma’am. 5 days. 315 participants. 85 RDO Community
Celebrators
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rdo-community-celebration-at-openstack-ptg-tickets-50022363235>.
26 interviews
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19XjQPeE9ZobK1b49aM-J7P-xQC-OKLNeFnwxavyQCgU/edit?usp=sharing>
with 36 people. And 11 summaries SO FAR on the openstack-dev mailing list
archives <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/>:

   - Cinder
   <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/134814.html>
   - Cyborg
   <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/135173.html>
   - Docs and L18n
   <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/134875.html>
   - Edge
   <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/135122.html>
   - First Contact SIG
   <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/134888.html>
   - Manila
   <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/134965.html>
   - Neutron
   <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/135032.html>
   - Nova
   <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/135122.html>
   - QA
   <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/135141.html>
   - Searchlight
   <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/134942.html>
   - Storyboard
   <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/134923.html>

Call For Papers

There are a handful of relevant conferences with open CFPs. Need help
figuring out a good topic or finalizing your abstract? Feel free to reach
out in the #RDO channel on IRC.

   -

   *Red Hat Summit Boston Massachusetts USA 07-09 May 2019* Share your
   ideas with thousands of open source enthusiasts by submitting a
session for Red
   Hat Summit 2019 <https://www.redhat.com/en/summit/2019>. There's a lot
   going on in open source, and we need your help to talk about it. Please
   submit an abstract based on one of the topics we will feature this year. CFP
   closes 19 November 2018 23:59 UTC <https://rhsummit2019.eventpoint.com/>
   -

   *NIC2019 - Artificial Edition Oslo Spektrum, Oslo, Norway 06-08 February
   2019* NIC <http://www.nicconf.com/> is the industry’s foremost
   collaboration and learning event offering global best in class content and
   structure, delivered by some of the leading technical IT speakers in the
   world. The main focus is on Cloud technology, automation & management,
   security, client & server, collaboration and productivity & analytics. CFP
   closes October 31, 2018 23:10 UTC <https://www.papercall.io/nic2019>
   -

   *DevFest Los Angeles California 02 December 2018* Devfest Los Angeles
   <http://devfest.gdgla.org> is a community-run, one-day conference aimed
   to bring students, developers, tech-companies and awesome speakers together
   under one roof. Where they can learn about Google’s technologies along with
   other emerging technologies with topics such as Android, Flutter, Firebase,
   Google Cloud Platform, the Mobile Web, Google Assistant, Machine Learning
   and more. CFP closes at October 31, 2018 15:10 UTC
   <https://www.papercall.io/devfestla>
   -

   *ServerlessDays Amsterdam The Netherlands 29 March 2019* ServerlessDays
   <https://serverlessdays.nl/> started life as JeffConf, a tongue in cheek
   conference in the spirit of Paul Johnston’s blog post, “Serverless is just
   a name. We could have called it Jeff”, an attempt to move beyond the
   Serverless buzzword and focus on the practical use of function as a service
   platforms and the value they provide. It is a one day, community focused,
   single track event centred on real world Serverless based solutions. It’s
   about fostering a community and helping all of us learn from each other as
   we embrace a new way of building applications. CFP closes at November
   26, 2018 23:11 UTC <https://www.papercall.io/serverless-ams-2019>
   -

   *Open Source Data Center Conference Berlin Germany 14-15 May 2019*
   Innovative strategies, forward-looking developments and new perspectives in
   dealing with complex data centers are welcome topics of OSDC
   <https://osdc.de/>. The international conference is especially adapted
   to experienced administrators and architects. CFP closes at January 31,
   2019 12:01 UTC <https://www.papercall.io/osdc>

Other Events

Other RDO events, including the many OpenStack meetups around the world,
are always listed on the RDO events page <http://rdoproject.org/events>. If
you have an RDO-related event, please feel free to add it by submitting a
pull request on Github
<https://github.com/OSAS/rh-events/blob/master/2018/RDO-Meetups.yml>.
Keep in Touch

There are lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the RDO
community. The best ways are …
WWW

   - RDO <http://rdoproject.org/>
   - OpenStack Q&A <http://ask.openstack.org/>

Mailing Lists:

   - Users mailing list
   <https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users>
   - This newsletter
   <https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/newsletter>

IRC

   - IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net

Social Media

   - Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/rdocommunity>
   - Google+ <http://tm3.org/rdogplus>
   - Facebook <http://facebook.com/rdocommunity>

As always, thanks for being part of the RDO community!

--
K Rain Leander
OpenStack Community Liaison