[rdo-users] Poor Ceph Performance

Cody codeology.lab at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 04:28:22 UTC 2018

Hello,

My tripleO cluster is deployed with Ceph. Both Cinder and Nova use RBD
as backend. While all essential functions work, services involving
Ceph are getting very poor performance. E.g., it takes several hours
to upload an 8GB image into Cinder and about 20 minutes to completely
boot up an instance (from launch to ssh ready).

Running 'ceph -s' shows a top write speed at 6~700 KiB/s during image
upload and read speed 2 MiB/s during instance launch.

I used the default scheme for network isolation and a single 1G port
for all VLAN traffics on each overcloud node. I haven't set jumbo
frame on the storage network VLAN yet, but think the performance
should not be this bad with MTU 1500. Something must be wrong. Any
suggestions for debugging?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Cody