[rdo-users] Newbie question: CentOS Cloud SIG vs RDO vs "centos-release-openstack-xxx"

Jan Gutter jan.gutter at netronome.com
Fri Jan 26 16:44:48 UTC 2018

On 26 January 2018 at 18:24, Haïkel Guémar <hguemar at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/26/2018 05:07 PM, Jan Gutter wrote:
>
> First RHOSP and RDO are different distros, RDO is to RHOSP what Fedora is
> to RHEL.
> RDO follows the same lifecycle as upstream OpenStack, RHOSP lifecycle is
> defined by Red Hat product management.

Ah thanks, I realised that there's a fork there, but somehow I thought it
was later. I presume there's no distro that has a similar relationship to
RHOSP as CentOS has with RHEL.

> As for Newton, it's not EOL yet despite what website says. This month, we
> had a Nova, puppet modules and TripleO updates.

I think the TripleO update pulled in the accidental depency that's needed:

It seems that the RPM for puppet-tripleo includes this commit:
https://github.com/openstack/puppet-tripleo/commit/
547d96d70db6e88eb2de44ac8212ed5dd5864692#diff-24e7008c99ef5f420d7457a0cfe16c
d9
(note the cross-dependency)

However, the package puppet-pacemaker for newton RPM doesn't include the
corresponding commit:
https://github.com/openstack/puppet-pacemaker/commit/
d7f4f9a08ae6f685058e78075060ee03c5de7cf1#diff-f04b36a70bfe6061dab388d183c1c7
16

This means that pacemaker setups break during deploy. I tested
with puppet-pacemaker-0.6.0-1.e0f9c42git.el7.noarch.rpm from the pike repo
and it seems to work.

RDO stable builds == CentOS Cloud SIG OpenStack builds

Thanks, that finally clicks. As I was reading your mail I found a link that
also cleared it up: https://www.rdoproject.org/what/repos/

> Well, that's something we can consider but it has to be discussed with
> puppet modules maintainers. But updating newton by using the pike version
> of the packages implies to update it in Ocata too. Otherwise we break the
> upgrade path.

Ah, good point. I didn't check if Ocata had the corresponding
puppet-tripleo commit.

--
Jan Gutter
Embedded Networking Software Engineer

Netronome | First Floor Suite 1, Block A, Southdowns Ridge Office Park,
Cnr Nellmapius and John Vorster St, Irene, Pretoria, 0157
Phone: +27 (12) 665-4427 | Skype: jangutter |  www.netronome.com