[rdo-users] Quickstart and containers

James LaBarre jlabarre at redhat.com
Tue Feb 20 21:37:08 UTC 2018

On 02/09/2018 05:54 PM, Dan Prince wrote:
> HI James,
>
> Not for an "overcloud" I think. But you could check out some of the
> work we did in Pike, Queens, and now Rocky for the new containerized
> undercloud. See the upstream docs here:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-docs/latest/install/containers_deployment/undercloud.html
>
> There are two ways to approach it:
>
> One is 'undercloud deploy' which is an experimental interface that
> lets you interact with the heat templates to drive a single node
> installation much like you would when creating an Overcloud.
>
> The second approach which we are actively building is a command which
> will consume the same undercloud.conf that instack-undercloud uses to
> drive the same installer framework that 'undercloud deploy' provides.
>
> Quickstart has some playbooks that can drive 'undercloud_deploy'...
> but I think we are switching it over to 'undercloud install'
> exclusively. So if either one suits your needs you might be able to
> get quickstart to do this all for you on a single node as well.
>
> We've got lots of ideas on how to improve the single node use case in
> the future BTW. Hoping to prototype some things at the upcoming PTG in
> Dublin.

I haven't been able to do any level of quickstart build now.  I actually
went all the way back to the cheatsheet I had made for myself when I was
working with Pike on RHEL 7.4, a sheet which gave me the steps to
successfully build a quickstart, single-system install.    Using those
exact steps, the setup kicks me off the system about a minute into the
setup.  This is with RHEL 7.4, 7.5 against Pike as well as Queens.

I am at a loss now, seeing as I can't even duplicate a setup that worked
for me in December.