[rdo-users] Add baremetal to quickstart install

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Wed Nov 8 18:24:18 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 7:04 AM, James LaBarre <jlabarre at redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if it's possible to add a baremetal compute node to a
> tripleo-quickstart setup after the system is installed (or, perhaps a
> way to add the baremetal to a playbook).  I expect one of the big
> problems will be getting the controller & undercloud to communicate
> outside it's virtual network.
>
> I had also considered doing a completely manual install, making
> virtualBMC VM nodes for undercloud & controller, although the network
> communication still ends up being an issue.

After quickstart has run, you can certainly add Ironic nodes exactly as you
would in any deployment. You would create a JSON file with the node
attributes, like so:

{
  "nodes": [
    {
      "pm_password": "password",
      "pm_type": "pxe_ipmitool",
      "cpu":"2",
      "memory":"4096",
      "disk":"40",
      "arch":"x86_64",
      "mac": [
        "a0:2b:b8:1f:be:40"
      ],
      "pm_user": "root",
      "pm_addr": "10.34.74.221"
    },
    {
      "pm_password": "password",
      "pm_type": "pxe_ipmitool",
      "cpu":"2",
      "memory":"4096",
      "disk":"40",
      "arch":"x86_64",
      "mac": [
        "a0:2b:b8:1f:c0:fc"
      ],
      "pm_user": "root",
      "pm_addr": "10.34.74.222"
     }
   ]
}

Then import the file with "openstack baremetal import <filename>", and you
can then run introspection to detect the node details.

--
Dan Sneddon         |  Senior Principal OpenStack Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/openstack