[newsletter] March 2020 RDO Community Newsletter

Rain Leander rleander at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 14:12:30 UTC 2020

Having difficulty with the formatting of this message? See it online at
http://rdoproject.org/newsletter/2020/march/

--

Community News Community Meetings

Every Tuesday at 13:30 UTC, we have a weekly *TripleO CI community meeting*
on https://meet.google.com/bqx-xwht-wky with the agenda on
https://hackmd.io/IhMCTNMBSF6xtqiEd9Z0Kw. The TripleO CI meeting focuses on
a group of people focusing on Continuous Integration tooling and system who
would like to provide a comprehensive testing framework that is easily
reproducible for TripleO contributors. This framework should also be
consumable by other CI systems (OPNFV, RDO, vendor CI, etc.), so that
TripleO can be tested the same way everywhere. This is NOT a place for
TripleO usage questions, rather, check out the next meeting listed just
below.

Every Tuesday at 14:00 UTC, immediately following the TripleO CI meeting is
the weekly *TripleO Community meeting* on the #TripleO channel on Freenode
IRC. The agenda for this meeting is posted each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-meeting-items>. This is for
addressing anything to do with TripleO, including usage, feature requests,
and bug reports.

Every Wednesday at 14:00 UTC, we have a weekly *RDO community meeting* on
the #RDO channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting is posted
each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/RDO-Meeting> and the minutes from the
meeting are posted on the RDO website
<https://www.rdoproject.org/community/community-meeting/>. If there's
something you'd like to see happen in RDO - a package that is missing, a
tool that you'd like to see included, or a change in how things are
governed - this is the best time and place to help make that happen.

Every Thursday at 15:00 UTC, there is a weekly *CentOS Cloud SIG meeting*
on the #centos-devel channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting
is posted each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/centos-cloud-sig> and the minutes from
the meeting are posted on the RDO website
<https://www.rdoproject.org/contribute/cloud-sig-meeting/>. This meeting
makes sense for people that are involved in packaging OpenStack for CentOS
and for people that are packaging OTHER cloud infra things (OpenNebula,
CloudStack, Euca, etc) for CentOS. “Alone we can do so little; together we
can do so much.” - Helen Keller
OpenStack News Spotlight On Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA)

The updated OpenStack Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA)
<https://www.openstack.org/coa/> exam became available in October 2019, and
we have seen a resurgence in interest by both the global community and our
training partners. Thousands of Stackers have demonstrated their skills and
proven their expertise, helping organizations identify top talent in the
industry. The COA exam remains a critical and respected certification for
anyone working on OpenStack.
Possible Data Loss Situation Within Cinder

Brian Rosmaita reported an issue
<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-February/012641.html>
that, in rare conditions, may cause data loss in Cinder volumes for the
OpenStack Train release. Train deployments are advised to deploy the
described workaround to avoid any issue.
We’re Over Halfway Down The River

The project teams have just passed the ussuri-2 milestone
<https://releases.openstack.org/ussuri/schedule.html>, in preparation for a
final Ussuri release on May 13. Please read this release countdown email
<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-February/012576.html>
from Sean McGinnis for information on upcoming release cycle deadlines!
Victoria Common Community Goals

Every cycle, our community sets common goals
<https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/index.html> for the next
OpenStack release. Ghanshyam Mann just started the process
<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-February/012396.html>
for the Victoria development cycle, which will start after Ussuri is
released in May. We are interested in goals that have user-visible impact
and make OpenStack easier to operate. If you are interested in proposing a
goal, please write down your idea on the Victoria goals etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-v-series-goals>!
OpenStack Wants YOU!

Interested in investing in OpenStack development, but don't know where to
maximize impact and returns? The OpenStack Technical Committee
<https://governance.openstack.org/tc/> just refreshed its Investment
opportunities list for 2020
<https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/upstream-investment-opportunities/2020/index.html>.
Please have a look and don't hesitate to reach out!
Recent and Upcoming Events OpenStack Track at OpenShift Commons

The OpenShift Commons Gathering will be co-located in San Francisco with Red
Hat Summit <https://www.redhat.com/en/summit> at the Moscone Convention and
Exhibition Center <http://www.moscone.com/site/do/index>!

The OpenShift Commons Gathering
<https://commons.openshift.org/gatherings/Red_Hat_Summit_2020.html> brings
together experts from all over the world to discuss container technologies,
best practices for cloud native application developers and the open source
software projects that underpin the OpenShift ecosystem. This event will
gather developers, devops professionals and sysadmins together to explore
the next steps in making container technologies successful and secure.
We’re particularly excited to have an entire afternoon track dedicated to
OpenStack during this event!

Please note: *Pre-registration is required AND You must have a pass for Red
Hat Summit to attend this event.* To register, add the OpenShift Commons
Gathering as a co-located event during your Red Hat Summit registration. By
being co-located in San Francisco with Red Hat Summit at the Moscone
Convention and Exhibition Center, the OpenShift Commons Gathering will
provide a platform for showcasing a full range of technologies that support
the OpenShift ecosystem and help bring cloud native project communities
together. We strongly encourage you to partake in the full week of events.
Call For Papers

There are a handful of relevant conferences with open CFPs. Need help
figuring out a good topic or finalizing your abstract? Feel free to reach
out in the #RDO channel on IRC.

   -

   *Comcast Open Source Day Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA 12 May 2020* is a
   conference for Comcast technologists, open source contributors and open
   source consumers to collaborate, and learn about the latest in open source
   in the outside world and at Comcast. Our objective is to kickoff the
   sharing of best practices from both internal speakers at Comcast as well as
   external guest speakers, and we’d love to see where we need to go next in
   terms of building our OSS competency, practices and strategy as a
company. CFP
   closes 16 March 2020 12:03 UTC <https://www.papercall.io/osday>
   -

   *ServerlessDays Ahmedabad India 20 June 2020* Serverless is a buzz word
   around cloud developers and at the same time, it brings many different
   ways architecture can be utilized and implemented
   <https://ahmedabad.serverlessdays.io/>. With this in mind, we are
   looking for diverse speakers with years of experience and mainly who have
   worked and implemented real-world problems using serverless platforms. CFP
   closes 05 April 2020 20:44 UTC <https://www.papercall.io/serverlessamd>
   -

   *DevOpsDays Chicago Illinois USA 01-02 September 2020* From fledgling
   startups to established industry, the Midwest is home to a large, vibrant
   technology community. Chicago, in particular, has been a flurry of activity
   in the past several years, drawing attention from around the globe.
DevOpsDays
   Chicago <https://devopsdays.org/events/2020-chicago/welcome/> brings
   development, operations, QA, InfoSec, management, and leadership together
   to discuss the culture and tools to make better organizations and products.
   The 2020 event will be the seventh time we have held DevOpsDays Chicago,
   and it should be bigger and better than ever before! CFP closes 02 May
   2020 05:00 UTC <https://www.papercall.io/devopsdays-chicago-2020>
   -

   *Open UP Global Summit Taipei Taiwan 12-13 September 2020* s a tech
   conference organized by Star Rocket Foundation and WeTogether.co, focusing
   on open source projects/products and experts as well as bringing tech
   communities together. We believe that “It’s Better When It’s Shared.” We
   organized featured activities and networking events to discover potential
   technology teams/talents during the conference, aiming to provide a unique
   conference experience by integrating global resources and developing open
   source products with guided and enjoyable processes! Open UP Global
   Summit <https://www.openup.global/> is the first interdisciplinary
   conference focused on open source projects and products in Asia. This year
   we welcome all types of projects related to the main theme, A Better Life
   with Open Source, and we aim to draw more discussion about how open source
   is being implemented in our daily life. No matter what industry or domain
   your projects/products belong, we would love to learn more about them. CFP
   closes 01 July 2020 11:42 UTC
   <https://www.papercall.io/open-up-summit-2020>

Other Events

Other RDO events, including the many OpenStack meetups around the world,
are always listed on the RDO events page <http://rdoproject.org/events>. If
you have an RDO-related event, please feel free to add it by submitting a
pull request on Github
<https://github.com/OSAS/rh-events/blob/master/2018/RDO-Meetups.yml>.
Keep in Touch

There are lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the RDO
community. The best ways are …
WWW

   - RDO <http://rdoproject.org/>
   - OpenStack Q&A <http://ask.openstack.org/>

Mailing Lists

   - This newsletter
   <https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/newsletter>
   - CentOS Cloud SIG List
   <https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel>
   - OpenShift on OpenStack SIG List
   <https://commons.openshift.org/sig/OpenshiftOpenstack.html>

IRC on Freenode.irc.net

   - RDO Project #rdo
   - TripleO #tripleo
   - CentOS Cloud SIG #centos-devel

Social Media

   - Twitter <http://twitter.com/rdocommunity>
   - Facebook <http://facebook.com/rdocommunity>
   - Youtube <https://www.youtube.com/RDOcommunity>

As always, thanks for being part of the RDO community!

--
K Rain Leander
OpenStack Community Liaison