[newsletter] April 2020 RDO Community Newsletter

Rain Leander rleander at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 12:03:29 UTC 2020

Having difficulty with the formatting of this message? See it online at
http://rdoproject.org/newsletter/2020/april/
--
Housekeeping Items Want to Help Us Prep for RDO Ussuri Test Day Milestone
THREE?

We are conducting an RDO test day
<http://rdoproject.org/testday/ussuri/milestone3/> on *16 and 17 April 2020*
.

This will be coordinated through the *#rdo channel on Freenode*, via
http://rdoproject.org/testday/ussuri/milestone1/ and the
dev at lists.rdoproject.org

We'll be testing the *THIRD* Ussuri milestone release
<https://releases.openstack.org/ussuri/schedule.html>. If you can do any
testing on your own ahead of time - that will help ensure that everyone
isn't encountering the same problems.

If you’re keen to help set up, mentor, or debrief, please reach out to
leanderthal on Freenode IRC #rdo and #tripleo.
RDO Changes RDO Project Continues Preparation for CentOS EIGHT

The TripleO CI team continues to make progress adding CentOS8 jobs on
https://hackmd.io/HrQd03c9SxOMtFPFrq50tg?view.

Some EPEL packages are now available
<https://trello.com/c/OmeqSzC8/734-use-mock-from-non-epel-repo> within the
RDO CentOS8 repositories.

The MessagingSIG has built RabbitMQ for CentOS8
<https://cbs.centos.org/koji/builds?tagID=2036> which is great for RDO as
we install it from their repositories.
Community News Tips, Tricks, and Best Practices for Distributed RDO Teams

While a lot of RDO contributors are remote, there are many more who are not
and now find themselves in lock down or working from home due to the
coronavirus. A few members of the RDO community requested tips, tricks, and
best practices for working on and managing a distributed team
<https://blogs.rdoproject.org/2020/03/tips-tricks-and-best-practices-for-distributed-rdo-teams/>
.
Community Meetings

Every Tuesday at 13:30 UTC, we have a weekly *TripleO CI community meeting*
on https://meet.google.com/bqx-xwht-wky with the agenda on
https://hackmd.io/IhMCTNMBSF6xtqiEd9Z0Kw. The TripleO CI meeting focuses on
a group of people focusing on Continuous Integration tooling and system who
would like to provide a comprehensive testing framework that is easily
reproducible for TripleO contributors. This framework should also be
consumable by other CI systems (OPNFV, RDO, vendor CI, etc.), so that
TripleO can be tested the same way everywhere. This is NOT a place for
TripleO usage questions, rather, check out the next meeting listed just
below.

Every Tuesday at 14:00 UTC, immediately following the TripleO CI meeting is
the weekly *TripleO Community meeting* on the #TripleO channel on Freenode
IRC. The agenda for this meeting is posted each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-meeting-items>. This is for
addressing anything to do with TripleO, including usage, feature requests,
and bug reports.

Every Wednesday at 14:00 UTC, we have a weekly *RDO community meeting* on
the #RDO channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting is posted
each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/RDO-Meeting> and the minutes from the
meeting are posted on the RDO website
<https://www.rdoproject.org/community/community-meeting/>. If there's
something you'd like to see happen in RDO - a package that is missing, a
tool that you'd like to see included, or a change in how things are
governed - this is the best time and place to help make that happen.

Every Thursday at 15:00 UTC, there is a weekly *CentOS Cloud SIG meeting*
on the #centos-devel channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting
is posted each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/centos-cloud-sig> and the minutes from
the meeting are posted on the RDO website
<https://www.rdoproject.org/contribute/cloud-sig-meeting/>. This meeting
makes sense for people that are involved in packaging OpenStack for CentOS
and for people that are packaging OTHER cloud infra things (OpenNebula,
CloudStack, Euca, etc) for CentOS. “Alone we can do so little; together we
can do so much.” - Helen Keller
OpenStack News COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease) Update

As we prepare for events this year, OpenStack Foundation (OSF) is closely
monitoring the situation surrounding COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)
<https://www.openstack.org/events/covid-19-coronavirus-disease-updates> to
ensure the safety and wellbeing of our attendees.

*OpenDev + PTG* (Vancouver 2020) Based on the input from the community,
board, and the latest information available from the health experts, we've
made the decision not to hold the OpenDev + PTG in Vancouver in June.
Instead, we're exploring ways to turn it into a virtual event and would
love the help of everyone in the community. The OpenDev + PTG landing page
<https://www.openstack.org/events/opendev-ptg-2020> will be updated with
event details as they are finalized.

*Open Infrastructure Summit* (Berlin 2020) The Open Infrastructure Summit
<https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2020/> on October 19-23, 2020 in
Berlin, Germany is currently planned to proceed as scheduled. We will
continue to publish updates as the situation develops and will be following
the recommended guidelines provided by the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO), as well as local
health agencies, airports and venues.

Onsite at the Summit, we plan to take the following measures, and this list
is subject to change as we approach the event:

   - Keeping up to date information around this situation on our event
   websites, as well as emailing registered attendees.
   - Posting signage on-site with best practices for yourself and fellow
   attendees, including implementing a "no handshake" rule.
   - Providing sanitation stations throughout the venue.
   - Requesting that anyone sick or experiencing any cold/flu-like symptoms
   stay home.
   - Encouraging attendees and exhibitors to follow regular CDC guidance
   for everyday preventive actions.

We will be closely monitoring the situation leading up to the events and
will be updating this page with any relevant facts as they're made
available.
Update on OpenDev + PTG Vancouver

The OpenStack Foundation recently announced
<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2020-March/002854.html>
that based on the input from the community, board, and the latest
information available from the health experts, we've made the decision not
to hold the OpenDev + PTG in Vancouver this June. Instead, we're exploring
ways to turn it into a virtual event and would love the help of everyone in
the community.

We will be reaching out to participants who have already registered to
issue full refunds.

We have always aimed to produce events "of the community, by the
community," and this change for OpenDev + PTG is no exception. We would
like to virtualize the PTG, since it is critical to producing the next
release, targeting the same timeframe. We would like to recruit community
volunteers to form a Virtual PTG Organization Team to collaborate with the
OSF staff to incorporate best practices and ensure the event continues to
meet the goals of the upstream community. We will need to begin pulling
this plan together soon, so please add your name ot this etherpad if you
are interested in helping:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Virtual_PTG_Planning. For OpenDev,
discussions are also meant to be collaborative and free-flowing but are
less time bound by the release schedule, so rather than trying to recreate
that during a single virtual event at the same time as the virtual PTG, we
are thinking about other ways to accomplish the same goals. We've already
assembled an awesome team of Program Committee volunteers who have received
proposals for moderated discussions, and we will be working with them on
some ideas on the best way to move forward.

For the time being, we are continuing with the plan for the Open
Infrastructure Summit in Berlin October 19-23. For updates on OpenDev + PTG
and the Summit, please continue to read and bookmark this status page which
we will continue to update:
https://www.openstack.org/events/covid-19-coronavirus-disease-updates
Recent and Upcoming Events Virtual Red Hat Summit 27-29 April 2020

Immerse yourself in this free virtual event and find your inspiration at
the intersection of choice and potential.

*Shape your path forward with new insights, skills, and connections*

The Red Hat Summit virtual event <https://www.redhat.com/en/summit> will
feature the keynotes, breakout sessions, and collaboration opportunities
that you’ve come to expect from Red Hat Summit. This programming will be
shared as a blend of live and recorded content designed to inspire and
engage a global audience. You will have access to the experts behind the
code as you learn about the latest in open hybrid cloud, automation,
cloud-native development, and so, so much more. Red Hat Summit 2020 Virtual
Experience <https://reg.summit.redhat.com/> is your platform to learn,
network, and plot the next steps in your career as you find ways to unlock
your potential.
OpenDev Experience Summer 2020

For OpenDev, discussions are meant to be collaborative and free-flowing but
are less time bound by the release schedule, so rather than trying to
recreate that during a single virtual event at the same time as the virtual
PTG, we are thinking about other ways to accomplish the same goals. We've
already assembled an awesome team of Program Committee volunteers who have
received proposals for moderated discussions, and we will be working with
them on some ideas on the best way to move forward.
Virtual Project Teams Gathering June 2020

We would like to virtualize the PTG, since it is critical to producing the
next release, targeting the same timeframe. We would like to recruit
community volunteers to form a Virtual PTG Organization Team to collaborate
with the OSF staff to incorporate current best practices and ensure the
event continues to meet the goals of the upstream community. We will need
to begin pulling this plan together soon, so please add your name to this
list if you are interested in participating.
Other Events

Other RDO events, including the many OpenStack meetups around the world,
are always listed on the RDO events page <http://rdoproject.org/events>. If
you have an RDO-related event, please feel free to add it by submitting a
pull request on Github
<https://github.com/OSAS/rh-events/blob/master/2018/RDO-Meetups.yml>.
Keep in Touch

There are lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the RDO
community. The best ways are …
WWW

   - RDO <http://rdoproject.org/>
   - OpenStack Q&A <http://ask.openstack.org/>

Mailing Lists

   - This newsletter
   <https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/newsletter>
   - CentOS Cloud SIG List
   <https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel>
   - OpenShift on OpenStack SIG List
   <https://commons.openshift.org/sig/OpenshiftOpenstack.html>

IRC on Freenode.irc.net

   - RDO Project #rdo
   - TripleO #tripleo
   - CentOS Cloud SIG #centos-devel

Social Media

   - Twitter <http://twitter.com/rdocommunity>
   - Facebook <http://facebook.com/rdocommunity>
   - Youtube <https://www.youtube.com/RDOcommunity>

As always, thanks for being part of the RDO community!

--
K Rain Leander
OpenStack Community Liaison