[newsletter] November 2019 RDO Community Newsletter

Rain Leander rleander at redhat.com
Tue Nov 5 08:00:09 UTC 2019

Having difficulty with the formatting of this message? See it online at
https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2019/november
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1/https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2019/november>

--

Do you hear that whistle? ALL ABOARD!! This month we're celebrating the
release of the latest OpenStack RDO release cycle, Train, diving head first

Rain Leander is attending Open Infrastructure Summit and Project Teams
Gathering in Shanghai and will conduct interviews on Friday 08 November in
room Liberty
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/3/https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XwRC_nHm2hZs37Hlrb5fUl4zGtOGgekj1oHaGn3TBxA/edit?usp=sharing>.
If you're keen and able, she'd love to talk with you.

These interviews have several purposes. Please consider all of the
following when thinking about what you might want to say in your interview:

   - Tell the users/customers/press what you've been working on in Train
   - Give them some idea of what's (what might be?) coming in Ussuri
   - Put a human face on the OpenStack project and encourage new
   participants to join us
   - You're welcome to promote your company's involvement in OpenStack but
   we ask that you avoid any kind of product pitches or job recruitment

In the interview I'll ask some leading questions and it'll go easier if
you've given some thought to them ahead of time:

   - Who are you? (Your name, your employer, and the project(s) on which
   you are active.)
   - What did you accomplish in Train? (Focus on the 2-3 things that will
   be most interesting to cloud operators)
   - What do you expect to be the focus in Ussuri? (At the time of your
   interview, it may be that the meetings will not yet have decided anything
   firm. That's ok.)
   - Anything further about the project(s) you work on or the OpenStack
   community in general.

Finally, note that there are only 15 interview slots available, so please
consider coordinating with your project to designate the people that you
want to represent the project, so that we don't end up with 12 interview
about Neutron, or whatever. It's fine to have multiple people in one
interview - Maximum 3, probably.

Interview slots are 30 minutes, in which time we hope to capture somewhere
between 10 and 20 minutes of content. It's fine to run shorter, but 15
minutes is probably an ideal length.
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/4/https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/>RDO
Changes All Aboard The RDO OpenStack Train!

The RDO community is pleased to announce the general availability of the
RDO build for OpenStack Train for RPM-based distributions, CentOS Linux and
Red Hat Enterprise Linux. RDO is suitable for building private, public, and
hybrid clouds. Train is the 20th release from the OpenStack project, which
is the work of more than 1115 contributors
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/5/https://www.stackalytics.com/?metric=commits>
from around the world.

The release is already available on the CentOS mirror network at
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/cloud/x86_64/openstack-train/
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/6/http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/cloud/x86_64/openstack-train/>.
While we normally also have the release available via
http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/cloud/ppc64le/
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/7/http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/cloud/ppc64le/>
and http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/cloud/aarch64/
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/8/http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/cloud/aarch64/>
- there have been issues with the mirror network which is currently being
addressed via https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=16590
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/9/https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=16590>
.

The RDO community project curates, packages, builds, tests and maintains a
complete OpenStack component set for RHEL and CentOS Linux and is a member
of the CentOS Cloud Infrastructure SIG. The Cloud Infrastructure SIG
focuses on delivering a great user experience for CentOS Linux users
looking to build and maintain their own on-premise, public or hybrid clouds.

All work on RDO and on the downstream release, Red Hat OpenStack Platform,
is 100% open source, with all code changes going upstream first.

PLEASE NOTE: At this time, RDO Train provides packages for CentOS7 only. We
plan to move RDO to use CentOS8 as soon as possible during Ussuri
development cycle so Train will be the last release working on CentOS7.
Now Availalbe On The Lists: Weekly Reports

Get the latest promotion, dependency, package, and other RDO updates
straight from Red Hat engineering sent to both users@ and dev@ mailing
lists. These are some fairly technical updates, but I’m sure if you asked
for clarification directly on the list, via IRC or on ask.openstack.org
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/a/http://ask.openstack.org/>,
we’re happy to help.

For example, one of the latest emails sent 28 October 2019 included:

Promotions

   - Latest promotions (TripleO CI) for Stein from 23rd October, Train from
   23rd October and Master from 22nd October.
   - Jobs (both weirdo and tripleo os_tempest jobs) are facing issues due
   to issues with download.cirros-cloud.net
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/b/http://download.cirros-cloud.net/>,
   it’s too slow to respond. Weirdo ones are worked to cache the image to
   avoid issues with download and fallback to download via https (which seems
   much more reliable).
   - Master and Stein are facing intermittent issues due to performance and
   deployment getting timed out, currently being worked upon to improve it.
   - https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1844446
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/c/https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1844446>

Deps Update

   - Work in progress to update OVN and OpenVswitch to 2.12 in master and
   Train
   - Podman is being updated to 1.6.1 and buildah to 1.11.3 in master

Packages

   - Unnecessary BuildRequires python-d2to1 is removed from all projects in
   master and Train:-
   - https://review.rdoproject.org/r/#/q/topic:remove-d2to1
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/d/https://review.rdoproject.org/r/#/q/topic:remove-d2to1>
   - According to TripleO Upgrades team, tripleo-heat-templates-compat is
   not longer required for upgrades. Package removal will be proposed in
   master and train.

Other

   - Train is released upstream last week on 16th October.
   -
   http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-announce/2019-October/002024.html
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/e/http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-announce/2019-October/002024.html>
   - RDO Train release builds (x86_64) are ready including TripleO and
   Kolla RC packages and published in official CentOS repos.
   - Altarch Train builds are still missing, reported issue
   https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=16590
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/f/https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=16590>

We won’t be publishing those updates here in the newsletter every month -
as you can imagine with a weekly update, it gets quite verbose after a full
month - but if you’re keen to see them, be sure to subscribe to either the
dev or users lists
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/g/https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo>
.
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/h/https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/>Community
News Community Meetings

Every Tuesday at 13:30 UTC, we have a weekly *TripleO CI community meeting*
on https://bluejeans.com/4113567798
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/i/https://bluejeans.com/4113567798>
with the agenda on https://hackmd.io/IhMCTNMBSF6xtqiEd9Z0Kw
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/j/https://hackmd.io/IhMCTNMBSF6xtqiEd9Z0Kw>.
The TripleO CI meeting focuses on a group of people focusing on Continuous
Integration tooling and system who would like to provide a comprehensive
testing framework that is easily reproducible for TripleO contributors.
This framework should also be consumable by other CI systems (OPNFV, RDO,
vendor CI, etc.), so that TripleO can be tested the same way everywhere.
This is NOT a place for TripleO usage questions, rather, check out the next
meeting listed just below.

Every Tuesday at 14:00 UTC, immediately following the TripleO CI meeting is
the weekly *TripleO Community meeting* on the #TripleO channel on Freenode
IRC. The agenda for this meeting is posted each week in a public etherpad
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/k/https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-meeting-items>.
This is for addressing anything to do with TripleO, including usage,
feature requests, and bug reports.

Every Wednesday at 15:00 UTC, we have a weekly *RDO Community meeting* on
the #RDO channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting is posted
each week in a public etherpad
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/l/https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/RDO-Meeting>
and the minutes from the meeting are posted on the RDO website
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/m/https://www.rdoproject.org/community/community-meeting/>.
If there's something you'd like to see happen in RDO - a package that is
missing, a tool that you'd like to see included, or a change in how things
are governed - this is the best time and place to help make that happen.

Every Thursday at 15:00 UTC, there is a weekly *CentOS Cloud SIG meeting*
on the #centos-devel channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting
is posted each week in a public etherpad
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/n/https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/centos-cloud-sig>
and the minutes from the meeting are posted on the RDO website
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/o/https://www.rdoproject.org/contribute/cloud-sig-meeting/>.
This meeting makes sense for people that are involved in packaging
OpenStack for CentOS and for people that are packaging OTHER cloud infra
thingies (OpenNebula, CloudStack, Euca, etc) for CentOS. “Alone we can do
so little; together we can do so much.” - Helen Keller
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/p/https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/>OpenStack
News Explore the Ussuri River

OpenStack Train
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/q/https://www.openstack.org/software/train>
is released
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/r/https://releases.openstack.org/train/index.html>,
but OpenStack development continues! Project teams are already planning
work for the Ussuri cycle
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/s/https://releases.openstack.org/ussuri/schedule.html>,
which should result in a final release on May 13, 2020. Some of that
planning will happen at the Project Teams Gathering in Shanghai
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/t/https://www.openstack.org/ptg>.
Python 2.7 Sails Away Soon

Remember that OpenStack Train is the last release tested on Python 2.7, and
future releases will require newer Python 3 interpreters. Refer to OpenStack's
list of Tested Runtimes
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/u/https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/project-testing-interface.html#tested-runtimes>
to find out more.
OpenStack Governance Updates

If you’re interested in what happened in OpenStack governance recently,
please read the summary that Rico Lin posted to the openstack-discuss
mailing-list
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/v/http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-October/010113.html>
.
Become a Certified OpenStack Administrator

Interested in becoming a Certified OpenStack Administrator? The OpenStack
Foundation is collaborating with Mirantis who has stepped up to donate
resources, including the administration of the vendor-neutral OpenStack
certification exam now running on OpenStack Rocky. Register to take the COA
today!
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/w/https://www.openstack.org/coa>
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/x/https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/>Recent
and Upcoming Events Open Infrastructure Summit Shanghai

There’s a lot happening in and around Open Infrastructure Summit Shanghai!
Here are a few highlights:

   - *Let’s Celebrate* At Open Infrastructure Summit we’ll once again
   gather together to celebrate OpenStack with the Ansible community. Please
   register and join us at Ansible + RDO Celebration of OpenStack
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/y/https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ansible-rdo-celebration-of-openstack-tickets-79188000441>
   on Wednesday night!
   - *RDO-Specific Talks* We’re gathering a list of RDO-specific talks that
   will be happening at OpenInfrastructure Summit Shanghai. If you haven’t
   already, please add yours to the list
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/z/https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/OISummitShanghai-RDOtalks>.
   We’ll be promoting these talks via social media prior to as well as during
   the conference.
   - *Looking for Volunteers* As mentioned above
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/10/http://rdoproject.org/newsletter/2019/november/#housekeeping>,
   we’re looking for volunteers to spend time answering questions at the RDO
   booth. Please consider signing up for a shift
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/11/https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/shanghai-summit-community-pod>
   .

Call For Papers

There are a handful of relevant conferences with open CFPs. Need help
figuring out a good topic or finalizing your abstract? Feel free to reach
out in the #RDO channel on IRC.

   -

   *Open Source Festival Lagos Nigeria 20-22 February 2020* Open Source
   Community Africa
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/12/https://festival.oscafrica.org/>
   is a community aimed at creating and supporting the open source movement
   within Africa. As a community, we intend to help integrate the act of open
   source contribution in African developers while strongly advocating the
   movement of free and open source software. OSCA is proud to announce a
   3-day festival tagged Open Source Festival to be held in Lagos, Nigeria. CFP
   closes 02 December 2019 11:41 UTC
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/13/https://www.papercall.io/osf>
   -

   *DevOpsDays Prague 2020 Prague Czech Republic 18 March 2020* DevOpsDays
   Prague 2020
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/14/https://devopsdays.org/events/2020-prague/welcome/>
   will be the first occurence of this volunteer-driven worldwide series in
   the Czech Republic. It will take place on March 18-19 (with possible
   extension to 17th for workshops) at City Conference Center. We are excited
   to bring this technical conference covering topics of Cloud Native,
   Containers and Microservices, Lean and DevOps approach to the heart of
   Europe. CFP closes 31 December 2019 00:12 UTC
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/15/https://www.papercall.io/dev-ops-days-prague>
   -

   *Codemotion Amsterdam Tech Conference Amsterdam Netherlands 27-28 May
   2020* Codemotion Amsterdam Tech Conference
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/16/https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/codemotion-amsterdam-2020-tech-conference-tickets-59101946513>
   is looking forward to paper proposals related to the following topics:
   Software Architectures Serverless Game Dev DevOps Mobile Languages Cloud
   Cybersecurity Blockchain IoT AI/Machine Learning Inspirational Diversity in
   Tech Front-End Dev Design/UX Voice & Digital Assistants IT Careers.
   Submissions that do not fit into these categories are also welcome,
   provided that they are relevant or inspirational for the tech community. CFP
   closes 15 November 2019 00:10 UTC
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/17/https://www.papercall.io/codemotion-amsterdam-2020>

Other Events

Other RDO events, including the many OpenStack meetups around the world,
are always listed on the RDO events page
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/18/http://rdoproject.org/events>.
If you have an RDO-related event, please feel free to add it by submitting
a pull request on Github
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/19/https://github.com/OSAS/rh-events/blob/master/2018/RDO-Meetups.yml>
.
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1a/https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/>Keep
in Touch

There are lots of ways to stay in touch with what's going on in the RDO
community. The best ways are …
WWW

   - RDO
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1b/http://rdoproject.org/>
   - OpenStack Q&A
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1c/http://ask.openstack.org/>

Mailing Lists

   - Dev List
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1d/https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/dev>
   - Users List
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1e/https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users>
   - This newsletter
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1f/https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/newsletter>
   - CentOS Cloud SIG List
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1g/https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel>
   - OpenShift on OpenStack SIG List
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1h/https://commons.openshift.org/sig/OpenshiftOpenstack.html>

IRC on Freenode.irc.net
<http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1i/http://freenode.irc.net/>

   - RDO Project #rdo
   - TripleO #tripleo
   - CentOS Cloud SIG #centos-devel

Social Media

   - Twitter
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1j/http://twitter.com/rdocommunity>
   - Facebook
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1k/http://facebook.com/rdocommunity>
   - Youtube
   <http://mailstat.us/tr/t/l7zu7avdk2g9i43p/1l/https://www.youtube.com/RDOcommunity>

As always, thanks for being part of the RDO community!

<http://mailstat.us/tr/opt-out?guid=l7zu7avdk2g9i43p>