[newsletter] March 2018 RDO Community Newsletter

Mary Thengvall mthengva at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 15:50:06 UTC 2018

Having difficulty with the formatting of this message? See the message online
at http://rdoproject.org/newsletter/2018/march/

---

Hi, RDO Community! I hope you like marshmallows and peanuts because we're
into Rocky and it's going to be quite a road. TL;DR: Queens was released,
we're excited that Cloud SIG meetings are back, and we're loving the idea
of stable Fedora repositories for OpenStack. But that's not all – be sure
to read the rest of the newsletter to stay up to date with what's going on
in our community.
Housekeeping ItemsPony Mail Revamp (aka mail.rdoproject.org)

You might remember that we launched Pony Mail back in January
<https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2018/january/>. We’ve now put the
hostname mail.rdoproject.org in place and made the experience a little
better. As a quick refresher, we have this Apache PonyMail
<http://ponymail.apache.org/> open source software in place as a web-based
interface to our mailing lists. This lets you, among other things:

   - Revive an old thread from before you were subscribed
   - See basic statistics about participation in mailing list threads
   - oAuth authentication - if there's an auth source you want to use
   that's not there, let us know, and we'll add it
   - Compose email in the web interface or in your own mail client, as you
   prefer
   - Keyboard shortcuts! (Press H for a list)

RDO ChangesRDO Queens Released

We’re extremely happy to announce the general availability of the RDO build
for OpenStack Queens! This is the SEVENTEENTH release from the OpenStack
project, which is the work of more than 1600 contributors from around the
world. Super big thanks for all your help - we could not do this without
the RDO Community!

There’s more information in the detailed blog post from Rich Bowen:
https://blogs.rdoproject.org/2018/03/rdo-queens-released/

Collaborating with Kolla for RDO Test Days Post-Queens Release

In true community form, we’ll be joining forces with the Kolla
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Kolla> core contributors during our RDO
test days. We’ll supply the bare metal hardware and their core contributors
will be able to deploy and operate a cloud with real users and developers
poking around.

Keep an eye on the Etherpad <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kolla-rdo-m3> and
mailing lists for more information on the upcoming test day
<https://www.rdoproject.org/testday/>, tentatively scheduled for 15-16
March.

Stabilized Fedora repositories for OpenStack

In case you missed the discussion at the Feb 7 IRC meeting, we’re starting
to move toward using stabilized Fedora repositories for OpenStack. As
Haïkel Guémar detailed in a follow-up email thread
<https://rdo.fsn.ponee.io/thread.html/f122ccd93daf5e4ca26b7db0e90e977fb0fbb253ad7293f81b13a132@%3Cdev.lists.rdoproject.org%3E>
:

*Since Fedora has proven to be an unstable platform for OpenStack, we plan
to provide "stabilized" repositories. The concept is quite simple: we
provide a snapshot of Fedora repositories and then gate updates through CI.
Any updates that fails CI will be blacklisted or overridden, we will also
provides packages overrides for the ones we can't update in Fedora.*

The plan is to have everything set to change over during the Rocky cycle.
Given how much work this will entail, Haïkel has pulled together an Etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stabilized-fedora-repositories-for-openstack>
 with more information, including the goals, technical requirements, and
any open concerns.

Please contribute to the conversation either via the mailing list
<https://rdo.fsn.ponee.io/thread.html/f122ccd93daf5e4ca26b7db0e90e977fb0fbb253ad7293f81b13a132@%3Cdev.lists.rdoproject.org%3E>
 or Etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stabilized-fedora-repositories-for-openstack>
 if you have any questions.
Community NewsCloud SIG meeting restarting

The Cloud SIG is back up and running, thanks to the prompting of Rohit
Yadav and Daan Hoogland! Hat tip to Rich Bowen for his help in getting it
off the ground.

The meeting will take place every Thursday at 15:00 UTC in the
#centos-devel channel on Freenode. Take a look at the Etherpad
<https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/centos-cloud-sig> for the running
agenda and the Cloud SIG page
<https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Cloud> on the CentOS wiki for
more information.

Recent Blogpost Roundups

Every two weeks or so we post the latest OpenStack and RDO-related
blogposts to blogs.rdoproject.org. In case you’ve missed the last few, you
can find them here:
https://blogs.rdoproject.org/category/community-blog-round-up/

If you blog about OpenStack, RDO, or anything related to those topics, feel
free to add your RSS feed to the RDO planet.ini
<https://github.com/redhat-openstack/website/blob/master/planet-rdo.ini> file
so we’re aware of it!

Community Meetings

Every Wednesday at 15:00 UTC, we have the weekly RDO community meeting on
the #RDO channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting is posted
each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/RDO-Meeting> and the minutes from the
meeting are posted on the RDO website
<https://www.rdoproject.org/community/community-meeting/>. If there's
something you'd like to see happen in RDO - a package that is missing, a
tool that you'd like to see included, or a change in how things are
governed - this is the best time and place to help make that happen.
OpenStack NewsNew Onboarding Docs for OpenStack

OpenStack has a new gorgeous community site and onboarding docs! From
selecting the area you’d like to help out with to learning what being a
contributor means or simply going straight to the contributor resources,
the site is easy to navigate and wonderful to look at.

See more here: https://www.openstack.org/community

Looking for Help with Translating Queens Release Notes

Do you speak another language? The documentation team could use your help!
They’re looking for people to submit translations of the Queens release
notes. For more information on what’s involved, following the thread in
openstack-dev
<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/127518.html>.
To dive right in, here’s a full list of open reviews:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+topic:zanata/translations

Goals for Rocky Decided

With the release of Queens just behind us, it’s time to move on to Rocky!
The goals have been discussed, and were voted on at the PTG in Dublin.
The current
selection <https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/rocky/index.html> is a
mix of one ops-facing goal (ability to set logs to debug without restarting
the service, using mutable configuration), and one dev-facing tech debt
reduction goal (going further in getting rid of mox/mox3).

PTL & User Committee Election Results

For possibly the first time ever, all teams had at least one candidate for
PTL for the Rocky cycle! Please join us in congratulating the new PTLs:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/127404.html

The User Committee also went through an election process recently. Congrats
to the three new members! More info:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/community/2018-February/001814.html
EventsDublin PTG Recap (+ Videos)

Twice a year, the OpenStack community gathers for the Project Teams
Gathering <http://openstack.org/ptg> - the PTG - to plan the next release
of OpenStack. This past week, we gathered in Dublin, Ireland for 5 days of
intense meetings about what specific features we want to implement in the
Rocky release. While the major goals of Rocky have already been determined
(see above), this is where the details get worked out.

As always, Rich was there to interview the project teams about their plans
and give you a preview of what to expect. Those videos will be on YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmwYAZLsJ84&list=PLOuHvpVx7kYnVF3qjvIw-Isq2sQkHhy7q>
 as soon as they get edited - keep an eye out for them over the coming
weeks. This is a great way to get a preview of what to expect in this next
release, which will come out in late August
<https://releases.openstack.org/rocky/schedule.html>.

DevConf US CFP Open

If you missed out on DevConf in Brno, you’re in luck – there are more
opportunities to attend this awesome conference! The CFP for DevConf US
<https://devconf.info/us/> is open until April 3rd. Don’t miss a chance to
talk about your favorite Free or Open Source technology.

Apply to speak here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfBUSs7rin0RPXo-6A-yoUkeVnVFXlSYkt7-tnTBJjoC72OBw/viewform

Virtual Meetup Scheduled for April 12 – CFP Open Now!

We’re planning for our first virtual meetup on April 12. We'll have several
30-minute presentations, which will happen via Google Hangouts, or
something similar, and will be recorded. Presentations should be related to
RDO or upstream OpenStack. We’ll start the presentations around 9am Eastern
US time and will run for as long as we have content.

If you would like to present at this meetup, please provide details about
your proposed talk at:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdlSXcphEVCJpi0dQFV1SdFDrSi2cZljfc698P6p2Z-dhJgNQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

The call for papers will close on March 11th, at which time we will select
a schedule, so that we have a few weeks to promote this event through the
usual channels.

Other Events

Other RDO events, including the many OpenStack meetups around the world,
are always listed on the RDO events page <http://rdoproject.org/events>. If
you have an RDO-related event, please feel free to add it by submitting a
pull request on Github
<https://github.com/OSAS/rh-events/blob/master/2016/RDO-Meetups.yml>.
Keep in Touch

There are lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the RDO
community. The best ways are …
WWW

   - RDO <http://rdoproject.org/>
   - OpenStack Q&A <http://ask.openstack.org/>

Mailing Lists:

   - Users mailing list
   <https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users>
   - This newsletter
   <https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/newsletter>

IRC

   - IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net

Social Media

   - Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/rdocommunity>
   - Google+ <http://tm3.org/rdogplus>
   - Facebook <http://facebook.com/rdocommunity>

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!