[newsletter] June 2018 RDO Community Newsletter

Rain Leander rleander at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 19:28:59 UTC 2018

Having difficulty with the formatting of this message? See it online at
https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2018/june

~R.
-----

Welcome to June! If you’re like me, you’re looking around in bewilderment,
wondering how that happened and if it’s possible to go back in time a few
months. But here we are! May was a fun-filled month, with both Red Hat and
OpenStack Summits in addition to a lot of local events sprinkled in
between, as well as the election of the Rocky TC and the re-launch of the
CentOS Pulse Newsletter. Read below for more information on all of this and
more.
Housekeeping ItemsUpcoming Test Days

Our next test day is June 14-15
<https://www.rdoproject.org/testday/rocky/milestone2/> - Rocky Milestone 2!
For more information on these test days and how to participate, keep an eye
out on the dev@ list for details, reach out to Rain via email
<https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2018/june/rain@redhat.com> or IRC
(leanderthal).

Of course, you don't have to wait for a scheduled test day to test RDO. We
would love to hear about your experiences, with either a Packstack
installation <https://www.rdoproject.org/install/packstack> or the TripleO
Quickstart <https://www.rdoproject.org/tripleo>.

We also encourage you to work through the upstream installation tutorial
<https://docs.openstack.org/queens/install/> while keeping detailed notes
on the following points:

   - Did you know what the document assumed that you'd know?
   - Did the steps work as described?
   - What error conditions did you encounter? Could you work around them?
   If so, how?
   - When you were done, did it work as expected? If not, what happened,
   and how did it differ from what you expected to happen?

RDO ChangesGeneral Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Within the RDO Community and Red Hat, your privacy is important and we will
continue to be transparent about what information we collect, how we use
it, and about your rights in managing that information. However, because of
the high demands made by the GDPR, a law passed in the European Union, we
have made some explicit changes in our privacy statement:
https://www.rdoproject.org/legal/privacy/.

If there are any questions, concerns, or requests to see your data or
opt-out, please email privacy at rdoproject.org
<https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2018/june/privacy@rdoproject.org>.
Community NewsCloud SIG and the CentOS Pulse

As part of the Cloud SIG community outreach effort, Rich Bowen is rebooting
the CentOS Pulse newsletter <https://wiki.centos.org/Newsletter/>, which
was discontinued about 8 years ago. The purpose of this newsletter is to
provide a high-level update on what CentOS is up to, to the peripheral
audience - including the tech press - who are less connected with the daily
life of the project.

If your SIG would like to provide an update, or if you have something else
you'd like to share with this audience, please email Rich
<https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2018/june/rbowen@redhat.com> with
any relevant information.
Community Meetings

Every Wednesday at 15:00 UTC, we have the weekly RDO community meeting on
the #RDO channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting is posted
each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/RDO-Meeting>and the minutes from the
meeting are posted on the RDO website
<https://www.rdoproject.org/community/community-meeting/>. If there's
something you'd like to see happen in RDO - a package that is missing, a
tool that you'd like to see included, or a change in how things are
governed - this is the best time and place to help make that happen.
OpenStack NewsOpenStack Community Contributor Awards

The OpenStack Community Contributor Awards
<http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/openstack-community-contributor-awards-vancouver/>
 were announced on the last day of OpenStack Summit. From long-time
contributors and core maintainers to hotel staff who helped when unexpected
weather conditions impacted the Dublin PTG, we appreciate you all!

As they said in the announcement, “our community is not just developers…
but developers, operators, users and those who interact with all of us,”
and we couldn’t agree more. We’d like to recognize our contributors by
giving shout outs in THIS NEWSLETTER - if you see awesomeness within the
community, be sure to let us know.
2018 OpenStack User Survey

If you’re running OpenStack, please take part in the 2018 OpenStack User
Survey
<https://www.openstack.org/user-survey/survey-2018/landing?BackURL=/user-survey/survey-2018/>.
The survey is available in 7 languages – English, German, Indonesian,
Japanese, Korean, traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese – and the
results will be published in October, prior to the Berlin OpenStack Summit.

The deadline to complete the survey and be part of the next report is *Friday,
August 3 at 23:59 UTC.* You can login and complete the OpenStack User
Survey here: http://www.openstack.org/user-survey.
OpenStack Technical Committee Election Results

Congratulations to the 7 newly elected members of the Rocky Technical
Committee (TC)! With this round of elections, we welcomed Thierry Carrez,
Chris Dent, Sean McGinnis, Davanum Srinivas, Zane Bitter, Graham Hayes, and
Mohammed Naser.

Want more information? View the full election results
<https://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_98430d99fc2ed59d> as
well as the election process details
<https://governance.openstack.org/election/>.

Interested in how the TC has worked in the past? Check out the retrospective
<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-May/130835.html> from
the last 6 months, recently posted on the OpenStack-dev mailing list.
Recent and Upcoming EventsRed Hat Summit

With how busy the rest of May has been, it seems like Red Hat Summit (May
7-9) was a lifetime ago! From demo’ing our cross-team hardware project
<https://twitter.com/rainleander/status/991047862543962118> (hat tip to
ManageIQ & Ceph for the collaboration!) to attending amazing talks and of
course giving out the classic RDO ducks
<https://twitter.com/manageiq/status/994266142561550336>, it was a
fantastic 3 days.

Special thanks to Molly Kepley and our small army of RDO community
volunteers (huge shout out to Carol Chen, Brett Niver, Michael Hackett,
Vikhyat Umrao, John Wilkins, Sébastien Han, T. Nichole Williams, and Ju
Lim) who held down the fort at the RDO booth throughout the Summit.
SuperSec 2018

Pablo Iranzo <https://iranzo.github.io/>, PSME on OpenStack Support,
recently presented on Citellus <https://citellus.org/> at SuperSec 2018
<https://supersec.es/> in Almería, Spain. The presentation was part of
SuperSec 2018, a Congress on Secure Software Development, where the focus
was on all the security implications on software, from a legal point of
view, to coding, best practices, and of course, lifecycle, where Citellus
was a fit.

Citellus analyzes known issues on systems based on simple-to-write tests.
It’s created by Red Hat and available in github for use and contribution.
It has been used by several teams to quickly detect known issues and reduce
fix time or give proactive insights on what could happen in the future. It
not only works in Red Hat products, but with upstream versions like RDO,
CentOS, and Fedora, and also has some initial support for running on
Debian, Arch Linux, etc, on top of the regular RHEL6, 7 and RHOSP support
(among others).

You can find the slides from Pablo’s talk on Github
<https://github.com/citellusorg/citellus/blob/master/doc/supersec2018-presentation-ES.md>
 and keep an eye on his blog
<https://iranzo.github.io/blog/2018/05/13/supersec/> for a recording of the
talk.
OpenStack Summit Vancouver

OpenStack Summit (May 21-24) quickly followed Red Hat Summit and we again
had an amazing group of volunteers who helped staff the RDO booth: Haïkel
Guémar, Carol Chen, Leo Vaz, Dan Sneddon, T. Nichole Williams, Michael
Turek, David Simard, Victoria Martínez de la Cruz, and Rodrigo Freire.

Haïkel was our amazing RDO ambassador and wrote out a lovely summary of the
week:
https://blogs.rdoproject.org/2018/06/rdo-duck-adventures-at-the-vancouver-openstack-summit/
.

We recreated the awesome hardware demo with ManageIQ and Ceph, which proved
to be a big hit, and had an amazing time hanging out with the Ceph crew
<https://twitter.com/JenInnovate/status/999463166764609536> for an evening
of tech and community.

As always, the RDO ducks
<https://twitter.com/JenInnovate/status/999001254389936128> were a big
attraction <https://twitter.com/hguemar/status/999409253768024064> and went
on a few adventures
<https://twitter.com/danvanderster/status/1001259097407111168> of their
own, both during <https://twitter.com/hguemar/status/999076975699513349> and
after the conference!

Be sure to keep an eye out for more details about RDO’s presence at OpenStack
Summit Berlin <https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/>, Nov 13-15,
and OpenStack Summit 2019 in Denver.
Call For Papers

There are a handful of relevant conferences with open CFPs. Need help
figuring out a good topic? Feel free to reach out in the #RDO channel on
IRC.

   - The 2018 CentOS Dojo <http://cern.ch/centos> (Oct 19) is a one-day
   event, hosted at CERN in Genève, Switzerland. This event brings people
   together from the CentOS Communities to talk about systems administration,
   best practices in Linux centric activities and emerging technologies of
   note. Our own Rain Leander and Rich Bowen are leading the charge along with
   Jarek Polok and Thomas Oulevey. The CFP closes *July 16*
   <https://indico.cern.ch/event/727150/abstracts/>.
   - All Systems Go! <https://all-systems-go.io/> (Sept 28-30) is the
   foundational user-space Linux conference held in Berlin. It consists of 2
   days of presentations followed by 1 hackfest day. Full presentation slots
   are 30-45 minutes in length and lightning talk slots are 5-10 minutes. *The
   CFP is now open!* <https://cfp.all-systems-go.io/de/ASG2018/cfp>
   - The Ohio LinuxFest <https://ohiolinux.org/> (Oct 12-13)is a grassroots
   conference for the GNU/Linux/Open Source Software/Free Software community.
   It is a place for the community to gather and share information about Linux
   and Open Source Software. The CFP closes *July 31*
   <https://ohiolinux.org/call-for-presentations/>.
   - OSBConf <https://osbconf.org/> (Sept 26) is focused on the development
   and application of open source software solutions for data backup. They’re
   looking for CFPs on the subject of data backup solutions using open source
   software. Your proposal should present latest developments, convey
   strategic knowledge or provide empirical reports. The CFP is open
until *June
   15* <https://osbconf.org/call-for-papers/>.
   - Open Source Summit EU
   <https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-europe-2018>
    (OSSEU) (Oct 22-24) is the leading conference for developers,
   architects and other technologists – as well as open source community and
   industry leaders – to collaborate, share information, learn about the
   latest technologies and gain a competitive advantage by using innovative
   open solutions. The CFP closes *July 1*
   <https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-europe-2018/program/cfp/>
   .

Other Events

Other RDO events, including the many OpenStack meetups around the world,
are always listed on the RDO events page <http://rdoproject.org/events>. If
you have an RDO-related event, please feel free to add it by submitting a
pull request on Github
<https://github.com/OSAS/rh-events/blob/master/2018/RDO-Meetups.yml>.
Keep in Touch

There are lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the RDO
community. The best ways are …
WWW

   - RDO <http://rdoproject.org/>
   - OpenStack Q&A <http://ask.openstack.org/>

Mailing Lists:

   - Users mailing list
   <https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users>
   - This newsletter
   <https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/newsletter>

IRC

   - IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net

Social Media

   - Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/rdocommunity>
   - Google+ <http://tm3.org/rdogplus>
   - Facebook <http://facebook.com/rdocommunity>

As always, thanks for being part of the RDO community!