[newsletter] April 2018 RDO Community Newsletter

Rain Leander rleander at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 12:19:07 UTC 2018

Having difficulty with the formatting of this message? See it online at
https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2018/april

---

Welcome to another month of the RDO Newsletter! I'm super excited that
we've started work on an all in one installation for TripleO - if you've
got use cases, thoughts, comments, or snarky feedback, we want to hear it,
of course. And, as always, we absolutely can't wait to see YOU in Vancouver
at OpenStack Summit NEXT MONTH! Housekeeping Items Volunteers Needed for
the RDO Booth at OpenStack Summit Vancouver

We are gearing up for OpenStack Summit Vancouver where we'll have our
regular presence within the Red Hat booth. This spring we'll continue the
ManageIQ / RDO demo we started last year and we'd love to see your demos,
too! If you've got something you'd like to demo via video OR LIVE because
you're not afraid of ANYTHING, sign up
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/rdo-vancouver-summit-booth>.

We're also looking for people to spend their precious free time answering
questions <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/rdo-vancouver-summit-booth> at
the RDO booth. If you're attending, please consider spending one or more of
your free moments with us. Questions run the gamut from "What's RDO?" to "I
found a bug in Neutron and need help troubleshooting it." Of course, you're
not expected to know everything and you can always keep IRC open to access
the RDO Community for help! Plus, you get cool stuff! If you sign up for
three or more shifts, we're going to hook you up with an RDO hoodie.

Reach out to Rain Leander on IRC (leanderthal) or email (rain at redhat.com)
for more information.
RDO Changes How to Package External Dependencies in RDO

Emilien Macchi brought an interesting discussion to the table regarding how
to handle the increasing number of dependencies outside of OpenStack,
including Ceph, MariaDB, Ansible, OVS, and more.

Follow along on the mailing list for more information:
https://mail.rdoproject.org/thread.html/948c7436e8877d59286f972f2f0df3
712376bc5a795807a8d6dd9a71@%3Cdev.lists.rdoproject.org%3E
Building Power Containers for TripleO

Michael Turek has proposed building containers for TripleO. The goal is to
have the first step of the TripleO job pipeline that builds the containers
and uploads them to Docker hub set up for ppc64le. The first step is to
identify the hardware that would make this possible. If you have any
insight into these issues or would like to help, chime in on the mailing
list: https://mail.rdoproject.org/thread.html/eb924d6d5ec84e81f92add066eb566
2a36046c902824254bf4018d8c@%3Cdev.lists.rdoproject.org%3E
Simplifying Namespaces

Historically we’ve used different namespaces for releases in docker.io and
trunk.rdoproject.org registries, for example,

   - trunk.registry.rdoproject.org/pike/centos-binary-nova-api:
   fc8ded09c37a2e258dac7f2103b5b9406be5502e_758ddb1e
   <http://trunk.registry.rdoproject.org/pike/centos-binary-nova-api:fc8ded09c37a2e258dac7f2103b5b9406be5502e_758ddb1e>
   - docker.io/tripleopike/centos-binary-aodh-api:
   fc8ded09c37a2e258dac7f2103b5b9406be5502e_758ddb1e
   <http://docker.io/tripleopike/centos-binary-aodh-api:fc8ded09c37a2e258dac7f2103b5b9406be5502e_758ddb1e>

In rdoproject the namespace is "pike", but in docker.io is "tripleopike".
This creates a mess in our configuration files when setting release for
upgrades job.

Sagi Shnaidman recommended that going forward we use the same namespace -
tripleo(release) - in order to simplify configuration and reduce confusion.
Community News Tentative Test Dates Listed

The tentative test day schedule has been posted
<https://www.rdoproject.org/testday> - please mention serious conflicts to
Rain rain at redhat.com so we can fix them before the schedule goes live.

   - M1 test day - April 26th, 27th
   - M2 test day - June 14th, 15th
   - M3 test day - August 2nd, 3rd
   - Rocky release test day - September 6th, 7th

Community Meetings

Every Wednesday at 15:00 UTC, we have the weekly RDO community meeting on
the #RDO channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting is posted
each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/RDO-Meeting> and the minutes from the
meeting are posted on the RDO website
<https://www.rdoproject.org/community/community-meeting/>. If there's
something you'd like to see happen in RDO - a package that is missing, a
tool that you'd like to see included, or a change in how things are
governed - this is the best time and place to help make that happen.
OpenStack News All-in-One Installer Discussion

During PTG Dublin, the idea of an All-In-One installer was discussed. The
core idea, as described in the OpenStack-Dev mailing thread
<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-March/128900.html>
by Emilien Macchi, is to use 100% of the TripleO bits to deploy a single
node OpenStack very similar with what we have today with the containerized
undercloud and what we also have with other tools like Packstack or
Devstack. One of the problems that we're trying to solve here is to give a
simple tool for developers so they can both easily and quickly deploy an
OpenStack for their needs.

Interested in more information? Check out the following places:

   March/128900.html
   - Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-rocky-all-in-one
   - Doc patch: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/547038/
   - Proposed blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.
   net/tripleo/+spec/all-in-one

Thank You, TryStack!

The decision was recently made to end the TryStack services as of March 29,
2018. As Jimmy Mcarthur said in a recent email
<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-March/128757.html>,
thank you to those of you who were part of the TryStack community!

If you’re looking for new resources with which to try OpenStack, you can
find them at [openstack.org/start][http://www.openstack.org/start
<http://openstack.org/start%5D%5Bhttp://www.openstack.org/start>],
including the Passport Program <https://www.openstack.org/passport>, where
you can test on any participating public cloud. If you’re looking to test
different tools or application stacks with OpenStack clouds, you should
check out Open Lab <https://openlabtesting.org>.

The Facebook group will be officially retired this month and folks can move
either into the OpenStack Facebook group
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/637144716425889/> or onto ask.openstack.org
.
Recent and Upcoming Events FOSSAsia Recap

At the recent FOSSAsia Summit <https://2018.fossasia.org/> in Singapore,
RDO was well represented with presentations from Chandan Kumar, and Janki
Chhatbar, covering the basics of RDO, and a deep dive into packaging
OpenStack for CentOS.

You can watch Chandan’s presentation about RDO on the FOSSAsia YouTube
channel <https://youtu.be/HPzkf_qHuSo>.

Chandan and Janki’s joint presentation, as part of the CentOS Dojo on
Sunday, will be coming to the CentOS YouTube channel
<https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCentOSProject> soon.
Call For Papers

There are a handful of relevant conferences with open CFPs. Need help
figuring out a good topic? Feel free to reach out in the #RDO channel on
IRC.

   -

   OpenStack Day Sao Paulo (Brazil) <http://openstackbr.com.br/events/2018/>
   - July 27-28 CFP closes May 5 Topics: Container Infrastructure, Edge
   Computing, the Open Source Community +more https://goo.gl/V8zSCA.
   -

   DevConf India <https://devconf.info/in> - Aug 4-5 CFP closes May 4
   Topics: containerization, TripleO, Kubernetes, storage, app development on
   Linux +more https://devconf.info/in/cfp

OpenStack Summit Vancouver

There’s a lot happening in and around OpenStack Summit Vancouver! Here are
a few highlights:

   - An Evening of Ceph and RDO - Get-Together at OpenStack Summit
   Vancouver If you’re attending OpenStack Summit Vancouver, you won’t want to
   miss celebrating the recent releases of Mimic (Ceph) and Queens (RDO). Join
   us from 6-8pm on Wednesday night at The Portside Pub for free food & drinks
   and to get to know your fellow community members. For more information and
   to get a (FREE!) ticket, see: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/
   an-evening-of-ceph-and-rdo-tickets-43215726401
   <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/an-evening-of-ceph-and-rdo-tickets-43215726401>
   - RDO-Specific talks We’re gathering a list of RDO-specific talks that
   will be happening at OpenStack Summit Vancouver. If you haven’t already,
   please add yours to the list
   <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/OSSummit-RDOtalks>. We’ll be promoting
   these talks via social media prior to as well as during the conference.
   - Looking for Volunteers As mentioned <a name=”housekeeping”>above</a>,
   we’re looking for volunteers to spend time answering questions at the RDO
   booth. Please consider signing up for a shift
   <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/rdo-vancouver-summit-booth>.

Interviews are Live from PTG Dublin

Rich Bowen conducted 18 interviews at the recent PTG in Dublin. From Zuul
to TripleO to various SIGs and a look at the coming year from Thierry
Carrez, there’s a lot of great content in this playlist:
https://youtu.be/zmwYAZLsJ84
<https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2018/april/youtu.be/zmwYAZLsJ84>.
Did you miss your chance to get interviewed and want to record a video?
Ping rbowen on IRC or shoot him an email: rbowen at redhat.com.
Other Events

Other RDO events, including the many OpenStack meetups around the world,
are always listed on the RDO events page <http://rdoproject.org/events>. If
you have an RDO-related event, please feel free to add it by submitting a
pull request on Github
<https://github.com/OSAS/rh-events/blob/master/2016/RDO-Meetups.yml>.
Keep in Touch

There are lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the RDO
community. The best ways are …
WWW

   - RDO <http://rdoproject.org/>
   - OpenStack Q&A <http://ask.openstack.org/>

Mailing Lists:

   - Users mailing list
   <https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users>
   - This newsletter
   <https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/newsletter>

IRC

   - IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net

Social Media

   - Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/rdocommunity>
   - Google+ <http://tm3.org/rdogplus>
   - Facebook <http://facebook.com/rdocommunity>

As always, thanks for being part of the RDO community!