[Rdo-newsletter] September 2017 RDO Community Newsletter

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Thu Sep 7 18:24:42 UTC 2017

If you have any trouble with the formatting of this message, you can
read it online at http://rdoproject.org/newsletter/2017/september

Thanks for being part of the RDO community!

    RDO Pike Released!

The RDO community is pleased to announce the general availability of the
RDO build for OpenStack Pike for RPM-based distributions, CentOS Linux 7
and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Pike is the 16th release from the OpenStack project
<http://openstack.org/>, which is the work of more than 2300
contributors from around the world (source <http://stackalytics.com/>).
Pike released upstream on August 30th
<https://releases.openstack.org/pike/index.html>, after which RDO
packages had to be created and tested through CI. These packages were
then made available on September 1st.

The release is described in greater detail in the RDO blog
<https://www.rdoproject.org/blog/2017/09/rdo-pike-released/>, and we
encourage you to follow our blog for future updates.

    OpenStack PTG

Next week, the OpenStack Foundation will hold the second edition of
the OpenStack PTG <http://openstack.org/ptg>, in Denver, Colorado. At
this event, project teams discuss what will go into the Queens release.
Teams also meet together to discuss how those projects interact, and
which team will implement which feathre.

These meetings run from September 11th through September 15th, after
which we'll start to hear from the various project teams about what to
expect in Queens.

Rich Bowen will be at the PTG to conduct video interviews, as he did in
Atlanta earlier this year. (You can see the videos from last time on
YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kT-Sv3rkTw&list=PLOuHvpVx7kYksG0NFaCaQsSkrUlj3Oq4S>.)
If you're planning to be there, please consider signing up
<http://tm3.org/ptg-interviews> to talk about what you did during the
Pike cycle, or how you are using OpenStack.

Other RDO events, including the many OpenStack meetups around the world,
are always listed on the RDO events page <http://rdoproject.org/events>.
If you have an RDO-related event, please feel free to add it by
submitting a pull request on Github
<https://github.com/OSAS/rh-events/blob/master/2016/RDO-Meetups.yml>.

    Other Events …

      CentOS Dojo at CERN

RDO will be participating in a CentOS Dojo, or community gathering, at
CERN, in Meyrin, Switzerland, on October 20th. You can find out more
about the event, and sign up, at the event website
<https://indico.cern.ch/event/649159/overview>.

At this meetup, we'll have a report on what has been happening in RDO
over the last few months. And we'll hear a report from CERN about how
they are using RDO in their data center as part of the research that
happens at CERN.

      Open Source Summit

The Open Source Summit (formerly known as LinuxCon) will be held in Los
Angeles next week
<http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-north-america> and in
Prague
<http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-summit-europe> in
October. RDO will have a presence at both events, in the Red Hat booth.
Drop by for RDO stickers, OpenStack cheatcheet bookmarks, and RDO advice.

      OpenStack Days

The following OpenStack days are coming up, and each of them will have
RDO enthusiasts in attendance:

  * Sep 14, 2017 - OpenStack Days Benelux, Bussum, NL
    <http://www.openstack.nl/en/events/>
  * Sep 26, 2017 - OpenStack Days UK, London <http://openstackdays.uk/2017/>
  * Sep 28 - 29, 2017 - OpenStack Days Italy, Milan
    <http://openstackday.it/>
  * Oct 17, 2017 - OpenStack Days Turkey, Istanbul
    <http://www.openstackdaysistanbul.com/>
  * Oct 18 - 19, 2017 - OpenStack Days Nordic, Copenhagen
    <http://openstacknordic.org/copenhagen2017/>
  * Oct 19, 2017 OpenStack Days Canada, Ottawa
    <http://www.openstackcanada.com/>

If you're speaking at any of these events, please get in touch with me,
so that I can help promote your presence there.

      Meetups

Finally, we encourage you to attend your local OpenStack meetup. There's
hundreds of them, all over the world, every day. We post a list of
upcoming meetups to the RDO mailing list each Monday, so that you can
mark your calendar. Or you can search meetup.com
<https://www.meetup.com/> for events near you.

    Community meetings

Every Wednesday at 15:00 UTC, we have the weekly RDO community meeting
on the #RDO channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting is
posted each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/RDO-Meeting> and the minutes from the
meeting are posted on the RDO website
<https://www.rdoproject.org/community/community-meeting/>. If there's
something you'd like to see happen in RDO - a package that is missing, a
tool that you'd like to see included, or a change in how things are
governed - this is the best time and place to help make that happen.

    Keep in touch

There's lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the RDO
community. The best ways are …

      WWW

  * RDO <http://rdoproject.org/>
  * OpenStack Q&A <http://ask.openstack.org/>

      Mailing Lists:

      IRC

  * IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net
  * Puppet module development - #rdo-puppet

      Social Media

  * Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/rdocommunity>
  * Google+ <http://tm3.org/rdogplus>
  * Facebook <http://facebook.com/rdocommunity>

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!