[Rdo-newsletter] January 2017 RDO Community Newsletter

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 15:43:28 UTC 2017

If you're having difficulty with the message formatting, you can read
this at https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2017/january/

  January 2017 RDO Community Newsletter

    Quick links:

  * Quick Start <http://rdoproject.org/quickstart>
  * RDO release packages <https://trunk.rdoproject.org/>
  * Review.RDOProject.org <http://review.rdoproject.org/>
  * RDO blog <http://rdoproject.org/blog>
  * Q&A <http://ask.openstack.org/>
  * Open Tickets <http://tm3.org/rdobugs>
  * Twitter <http://twitter.com/rdocommunity>
  * Newton release schedule
    <http://releases.openstack.org/newton/schedule.html>

Thanks for being part of the RDO community!

    Upcoming Events

December is always a slow month around here, so there's not much to
report on this month, but we do have a number of events coming up that
you'll want to know about.

      FOSDEM and DevConf

DevConf.cz <https://devconf.cz/> is coming up at the end of January, in
Brno, Czech Republic, and RDO will have a booth there, where you can get
your RDO tshirts and stickers. DevConf is a small event where you can
really spend quality time with other attendees, and which is often
attended by a significant number of the RDO engineers who are based in
Brno. We'd love to see you there.

DevConf will be held January 27 - 29, 2017, in Brno. You can register
for free at http://bit.ly/devconf-cz-2017-registration.

The next weekend, FOSDEM <https://fosdem.org/2017/> will be held in
Brussels. FOSDEM is one of the largest events for Free and Open Source
software in the world, with thousands of developers attending. RDO will
be present at the CentOS booth, and at the OpenStack booth. Stop by to
ask your OpenStack questions.

FOSDEM will be held February 4th and 5th at the ULB Campus Solbosch.
FOSDEM is also free, and no registration is required.

      Project Teams Gathering - Atlanta - February 20-24

As you are by now no doubt aware, the OpenStack Summit has been
reorganized somewhat, with the developers' summit portion of it being
pulled into a separate event - the Project Teams Gathering
<https://www.openstack.org/ptg/>, or PTG.

If you're thinking of going to the PTG, you need to register as soon as
possible, since space is very limited.

The PTG is where the next release of OpenStack - Pike - will be
discussed, and teams will figure out what features they'll try to work on.

      Meetups

Other RDO events, including the many OpenStack meetups around the world,
are always listed on the RDO events page <http://rdoproject.org/events>.
If you have an RDO-related event, please feel free to add it by
submitting a pull request on Github
<https://github.com/OSAS/rh-events/blob/master/2017/RDO-Meetups.yml>.

    Blog Posts

There's been some great blog posts in the last month. Here's a sampling:

*Containers on the CERN cloud* by Tim Bell

    We have recently made the Container-Engine-as-a-Service (Magnum)
    available in production at CERN as part of the CERN IT department
    services for the LHC experiments and other CERN communities. This
    gives the OpenStack cloud users Kubernetes, Mesos and Docker Swarm
    on demand within the accounting, quota and project permissions
    structures already implemented for virtual machines.We shared the
    latest news on the service with the CERN technical staff (link).
    This is the follow up on the tests presented at the OpenStack
    Barcelona (link) and covered in the blog from IBM. The work has been
    helped by collaborations with Rackspace in the framework of the CERN
    openlab and the European Union Horizon 2020 Indigo Datacloud project.

Read more at http://tm3.org/d6

*Red Hat OpenStack Platform 10 is here! So what’s new?* by Marcos Garcia
- Principal Technical Marketing Manager

    It’s that time of the year. We all look back at 2016, think about
    the good and bad things, and wish that Santa brings us the gifts we
    deserve. We, at Red Hat, are really proud to bring you a present for
    this holiday season: a new version of Red Hat OpenStack Platform,
    version 10 (press release and release notes). This is our best
    release ever, so we’ve named it our first Long Life release (up to 5
    years support), and this blog post will show you why this will be
    the perfect gift for your private cloud project.

Read more at http://tm3.org/d8

*Comparing OpenStack Neutron ML2+OVS and OVN – Control Plane* by
russellbryant

    We have done a lot of performance testing of OVN over time, but one
    major thing missing has been an apples-to-apples comparison with the
    current OVS-based OpenStack Neutron backend (ML2+OVS).  I’ve been
    working with a group of people to compare the two OpenStack Neutron
    backends.  This is the first piece of those results: the control
    plane.  Later posts will discuss data plane performance.

Read more at http://tm3.org/d9

*TripleO to deploy Ceph standlone* by Giulio Fidente

    Here is a nice Christmas present: you can use TripleO for a
    standalone Ceph deployment, with just a few lines of YAML. Assuming
    you have an undercloud ready for a new overcloud, create an
    environment file like the following:

Read more at http://tm3.org/d1

*Printed TripleO cheatsheets for FOSDEM/DevConf (feedback needed)* by
Carlos Camacho

    We are working preparing some cheatsheets for people jumping into
    TripleO.

Read more at http://tm3.org/d2

*ANNOUNCE: New libvirt project Go language bindings* by Daniel Berrange

    I’m happy to announce that the libvirt project is now supporting Go
    language bindings as a primary deliverable, joining Python and Perl,
    as language bindings with 100% API coverage of libvirt C library.
    The master repository is available on the libvirt GIT server, but it
    is expected that Go projects will consume it via an import of the
    github mirror, since the Go ecosystem is heavilty github focused
    (e.g. godoc.org can’t produce docs for stuff hosted on libvirt.org git)

Read more at http://tm3.org/d3

*A Quick Introduction to Mistral Usage in TripleO (Newton) For
developers* by jpichon

    Since Newton, Mistral has become a central component to the TripleO
    project, handling many of the operations in the back-end. I recently
    gave a short crash course on Mistral, what it is and how we use it
    to a few people and thought it might be useful to share some of my
    bag of tricks here as well.What is Mistral?It's a workflow service.
    You describe what you want as a series of steps (tasks) in YAML, and
    it will coordinate things for you, usually asynchronously.

Read more at http://tm3.org/d4

*Lifecycle support changes for Red Hat OpenStack Platform 10 and
beyond* by Peter Pawelski, Product Marketing Manager, Red Hat OpenStack
Platform

    OpenStack continues to evolve

Read more at http://tm3.org/d5

    Community meetings

Every Wednesday at 15:00 UTC, we have the weekly RDO community meeting
on the #RDO channel on Freenode IRC. The agenda for this meeting is
posted each week in a public etherpad
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/RDO-Meeting> and the minutes from the
meeting are posted on the RDO website
<https://www.rdoproject.org/community/community-meeting/>. If there's
something you'd like to see happen in RDO - a package that is missing, a
tool that you'd like to see included, or a change in how things are
governed - this is the best time and place to help make that happen.

    Keep in touch

There's lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the RDO
community. The best ways are …

      WWW

  * RDO <http://rdoproject.org/>
  * OpenStack Q&A <http://ask.openstack.org/>

      Mailing Lists:

      IRC

  * IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net
  * Puppet module development - #rdo-puppet

      Social Media

  * Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/rdocommunity>
  * Google+ <http://tm3.org/rdogplus>
  * Facebook <http://facebook.com/rdocommunity>

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
RDO Community Liaison
http://rdoproject.org
@RDOCommunity