[newsletter] December 2017 RDO Community Newsletter

Mary Thengvall mthengva at redhat.com
Tue Dec 5 16:46:31 UTC 2017

Having difficulty with the formatting of this message? See the message
online:
http://rdoproject.org/newsletter/2017/december

Thanks for being part of the RDO community!

Housekeeping Items
Fedora OpenStack SIG - Please reassign packages

We've created the Fedora OpenStack SIG
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/OpenStack> to allow shared maintenance
of clients and an easier sync from RDO. In order for this to happen, we
need you to reassign OpenStack-related packages and core dependencies to
the SIG. Note: if these are currently located in rdoinfo
<https://github.com/redhat-openstack/rdoinfo/blob/master/rdo.yml>, then
they should already be owned by the SIG.

More information: https://lists.rdoproject.org/pipermail/dev/
2017-November/008387.html
Reminder about mailing list changes

In case you missed it in last month’s newsletter
<http://rdoproject.org/newsletter/2017/november/>, we’ve made some changes
to the mailing list setup. Here’s a recap:

   - This list - the RDO Community Newsletter - is now delivered to the
   address newsletter at lists.rdoproject.org rather than the old
   rdo-newsletter at redhat.com.
   - The main rdo-list mailing list has been split into two lists -
   dev at lists.rdoproject.org and users at lists.rdoproject.org - in order to
   make the users mailing list more welcoming to operators and users of RDO,
   while the more technical, development-centric discussions will take place
   on the dev mailing list.

tl;dr: You don't need to do anything if you want to keep receiving this
newsletter. However, if you wish to post to either the dev list or the
users list, you will, of course, have to send to the new addresses. You can
see the list archives and manage your preferences at lists.rdoproject.org.
RDO Office Hours

In case you missed the announcement in early October
<https://lists.rdoproject.org/pipermail/dev/2017-October/008376.html>, the
RDO Office Hours have changed. Here’s the new structure:

   - Bi-weekly meetings
   - Duration: 1h
   - Next meeting is on Dec 12, 2017
   - New timing: 13:30 UTC to 14:30 UTC

Unfamiliar with RDO Office Hours? They were established to keep up with
increasing participation in RDO. We use this time to triage tickets, add
more EasyFix items
<http://rdoproject.org/blog/2017/08/easyfix-getting-started-contributing-to-rdo/>,
and provide mentoring to newcomers. There are occasional presentations by
special guests as well.

For instance, Attila Darazs (adarazs) and Sagi Shnaidm (sshnaidm) gave an
overview about the config project during RDO Office Hours on Oct 17. It’s a
fascinating conversation about how we add and manage RDO package
repositories as well as how we roll out different CI jobs against Tripleo
and RDO. Check out the log
<http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/rdo_office_hour___2017_10_17/2017/rdo_office_hour___2017_10_17.2017-10-17-13.31.log.html#l-17>
and
the summary of the conversation
<https://review.rdoproject.org/etherpad/p/rdo-config-office-hours>.

Community News
Queens Milestone 1 Test Day (Nov 16-17)

We recently had a test day for Queens Milestone 1. It was a learning
experience, in that very few people attended and even fewer actively helped
to test the new release. We discussed the outcome in a recent RDO meeting
<http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/rdo_meeting___2017_11_22/2017/rdo_meeting___2017_11_22.2017-11-22-15.00.log.html>
and
came to a few conclusions:

   - The current format no longer works, as it came from a time when we
   didn’t have automated testing
   - While the automated systems are great, a new plan is needed for
   upcoming test days
   - Having a test leader would help keep things on track
   - We either need clear instructions that attendees can follow, or a test
   install of RDO cloud already set up so that folks can put it through the
   paces of various testing scenarios

To this end, for our upcoming test days, December 14-15th, we’ll be
providing a test cloud running RDO packages of Queens Milestone 2, which
you can use to run tests on a live OpenStack cloud without having to deploy
it yourself. For more details about how this will work and to sign up for
login credentials, please read the description on the mailing list:
https://lists.rdoproject.org/pipermail/users/2017-November/000077.html

For even more information, see David’s blog post:
https://dmsimard.com/2017/11/29/come-try-a-real-openstack-queens-deployment/

Haikel Guemar will be the test leader for the December test days, and we’re
interested in your feedback on how to make these days more collaborative
and effective for the community.
Infrastructure core administrators

Congrats to Attila Darazs (adarazs), John Trowbridge (trown), and Sagi
Shnaidm (sshnaidm) who were named as part of the the config-core group for
review.rdoproject.org. This group takes care of managing all configuration
for the Software Factory instance used by the RDO project.

Javier Pena created a new website that gives information about this group,
including information and guidelines about how you can contribute, as well
as how to become a config core.

More information: https://www.rdoproject.org/infra/review-rdo-infra-core/
New OpenStack SIG Launched by Kubernetes

Are you working on projects that involve both OpenStack and Kubernetes?
You’ll want to join the new OpenStack SIG launched by Kubernetes, which
coordinates the cross-community efforts of the two communities. Meetings
occur every other Wednesday at 15:00 UTC.

More information: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/tree/
master/sig-openstack
Virtual RDO Quarterly Meetup

In a recent thread, David Moreau Simard (dmsimard) suggested a virtual RDO
meetup. We’re exploring the idea of hosting the first one in February or
March. Interested in speaking or helping organize? Reach out to Rich Bowen
for more information, or follow up on this thread: https://lists.
rdoproject.org/pipermail/users/2017-November/000061.html
OpenStack PTG Videos

In case you missed it, here’s a playlist of interviews recorded at
OpenStack PTG Denver: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=
PLOuHvpVx7kYm2b9tmpUJt8lC75fdDr4zx

>From Cinder and Vitrage to PackStack and containerization, there’s sure to
be something to pique your interest.

Interested in recording a short video conversation about what you’re doing
with RDO? Let Rich Bowen know or reply to this thread: https://lists.
rdoproject.org/pipermail/dev/2017-November/008393.html

Please subscribe to the RDO Community <https://youtube.com/RDOcommunity> on
YouTube – we will be doing more interviews like this at future events.

RDO Changes
images.rdoproject server Changes

In order to allow rdophase2 cache servers to have the time to download the
images for caching purposes, we are stopping the automatic removal of all
previous promoted images at each promotion. We'll change the cleanup
process to delete images after a configurable threshold in days/images
numbers.

More information: https://lists.rdoproject.org/pipermail/dev/
2017-October/008307.html
Now Shipping python-virtualbmc in Newton

In order to facilitate fast-forward upgrades from Newton to Queens, we are
now shipping python-virtualbmc in Newton.

More information: https://lists.rdoproject.org/pipermail/dev/
2017-October/008311.html
Technical Sprints

There have been several sprints in the last few months and the team has
accomplished a lot! Led by Arx Cruz, the team tackles a particular problem
over a span of 2 weeks:

   - Sprint 1
   <https://trello.com/c/5FnfGByl/334-base-the-promotion-pipeline-of-upstream-phase1-and-phase2-on-dlrn-api-dlrn-links-containers-and-images>
(ended
   Oct 10): Implement the Delorean API across TripleO and RDO in order to
   report job status and promotions
   - Sprint 2
   <https://trello.com/c/wyUOPIhP/377-ovb-migration-to-rdo-cloud-and-related-work>
(ended
   Oct 25): Migrate a few OVB jobs from RH1 cloud to RDO cloud
   - Sprint 3
   <https://trello.com/c/aPuHTfo4/404-reproduce-of-upstream-ci-jobs-against-rdo-cloud-personal-tenant>
(ended
   Nov 13): Reproduce upstream CI jobs against RDO cloud personal tenant in
   order to help our Ruck and Rover to reproduce CI issues.

The most recent sprint
<https://trello.com/c/fvLpZMF6/428-tech-debt?menu=filter&filter=label:Sprint%203%20%20(%20Oct%2026%20-%20Nov%208)>
ended
on Nov 29 and didn’t focus on a single task, but rather on fixing the
technical debt created by previous sprints.

Interested in taking part in a future tech sprint or have an idea for a
project? Contact Arx Cruz <arxcruz at redhat.com>.

Recent Events
OpenStack Summit Recap

Many of you were able to join us in Sydney for the semi-annual OpenStack
Summit <https://www.openstack.org/summit/sydney-2017/>. For those who
weren’t, August Simonelli wrote a fantastic wrap-up
<http://redhatstackblog.redhat.com/2017/11/16/hooroo-australia-bids-farewell-to-incredible-openstack-summit/>
about
the RedHat presence and our experiences. Petr Kovar also wrote a great
summary of the OpenStack Summit Docs sessions
<https://www.rdoproject.org/blog/2017/11/summary-openstack-summit-docs-sessions/>
.

We had a great gathering of RDO folks at the Pumphouse on Tuesday night (watch
the timelapse! <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9L5U5LhAww>). We also said
goodbye and good luck to Tom Fifield, OpenStack Community Manager on
Wednesday as this was his last OpenStack Summit
<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack/2017-October/045595.html>.

Lastly, Rich had a chance to meet up with Emilien Macchi and talk to him
about deploying TripleO in OpenStack Pike and Queens. Watch the video:
https://youtu.be/ot50Hdq–Do <https://youtu.be/ot50Hdq--Do>
OpenStack Days France Recap (Nov 21)

350 people gathered two weeks ago at the second annual OpenStack Days
France. Martin Andre has a great recap of his talk
<http://blog.mandre.org/2017/12/01/essential_tools_of_an_openstack_contributor.html>
on
his blog in case you missed it. Stay tuned for more recaps and videos to
come on openstack.fr
Open Source Summit, Prague Recap

We had a very small presence at the Open Source Summit in Prague, Czechia,
at the end of October. Rich has a brief writeup on the RDO blog
<https://rdoproject.org/blog/2017/11/open-source-summit-prague/>.
OpenStack India Recap

Chandan Kumar spoke about RDO at the recent OpenStack India half-day track
within Open Source India
<https://opensourceindia.in/osidays/open-source-india-2017/>. Couldn’t make
it? Check out his slides for Delivering a bleeding edge community-led
OpenStack distribution - RDO
<https://www.slideshare.net/ChandanKumar612/delivering-a-bleeding-edge-community-led-open-stack-distribution-rdo>
.

Keep in Touch

There are lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the RDO
community. The best ways are …
WWW

   - RDO <http://rdoproject.org/>
   - OpenStack Q&A <http://ask.openstack.org/>

Mailing Lists:

   - Users mailing list
   <https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users>
   - This newsletter
   <https://lists.rdoproject.org/mailman/listinfo/newsletter>

IRC

   - IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net <http://freenode.irc.net/>

Social Media

   - Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/rdocommunity>
   - Google+ <http://tm3.org/rdogplus>
   - Facebook <http://facebook.com/rdocommunity>

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!