[Rdo-newsletter] June 2015 RDO Community Newsletter

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Tue Jun 2 14:02:31 UTC 2015

Thanks for being part of the RDO community!

Quick links:

* Quick Start - http://rdoproject.org/quickstart
* RDO packages - http://rdoproject.org/repos
* RDO blog - http://rdoproject.org/blog
* Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/

OpenStack Summit, RDO Meetup, and Tokyo

OpenStack Summit was, as always, a firehose of content, events, and
people.

You can watch the keynotes, and any other sessions that you missed -
because it's impossible to make it to everything - at
https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2015/summit-videos/
including Mark McLoughlin's 'The True Meaning of Support' -
http://tm3.org/markmc-vancouver-keynote , Adrian Otto's great '7
Habits of Effective Contributors' - http://tm3.org/effecive-contributors
- and Sean and Jon's excellent talk on Enterprise Storage in OpenStack -
http://tm3.org/enterprise-storage

A highlight of the Summit for me was the RDO Community Meetup. You may
remember that we first did this in Paris. Unlike Paris, however, in
Vancouver we actually had a room and a spot on the schedule, so we
weren't just trying to be heard over the din, but were actually able
to discuss the issues and hear one another. The notes from that meetup
can be found at https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/RDO_Vancouver and the
audio from the event is on SoundCloud at
https://soundcloud.com/rich-bowen/sets/rdo-community-meetup-openstack
You can also see my summary of the event at
http://tm3.org/rdo-vancouver

The meeting was very well attended, with perhaps 60 people there, and,
encouragingly, there were a substantial number of people from outside
of Red Hat in attendance, since the diversity of this community is
very important to us, and we want to see more organizations
represented.

Important topics discussed included RDO Manager, the CentOS
infrastructure and Cloud SIG, CI, and Packaging.

I would strongly encourage you to have a look over our notes, and
bring your questions and comments back to rdo-list.

We'll be gathering for another OpenStack Summit in six months in
Tokyo. Other future events were announced from stage at Summit -
Austin in the Spring of 2016, and Barcelona in the Autumn of 2016.
Hopefully we'll see you at one of those.

OpenStack Liberty

The Design Summit is perhaps the most important part of the OpenStack
Summit, in that it is there that it is decided what the next version
of OpenStack will look like. With the OpenStack ecosystem of projects
continually growing, it can be really hard to keep track of what the
plans are.

Here are some key articles you might want to read to undertand what's
coming.

Back from Vancouver, towards Liberty, by Flavio Percoco -
http://tm3.org/j

TripleO Liberty Recap, by James Slagle - http://tm3.org/l

OpenStack Swift – Vancouver summit report, by Christian Schwede -
http://tm3.org/m

OpenStack plans for Liberty, by Emilien Macchi - http://tm3.org/g

Vulnerability Management for OpenStack Liberty cycle, by Tristan
Cacqueray - http://tm3.org/h

Also of great interest is some of the decisions at a cross-project
level that came out of summit, including the decision to stop doing
the stable point releases. You can read more about this in this
mailing list post by Thierry Carrez -
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-May/065144.html

You can also watch/listen more about the changes to upcoming releases
that have been proposed by the Technical Committee (TC) in the 'Big
Tent' presentation at http://tm3.org/big-tent

These changes to governance will no doubt effect the way that RDO does
packaging in the future, and this was a topic discussed at the RDO
Community Meetup in Vancover (see above). So if you're interested in
seeing a particular project packaged as part of RDO, you should show
up on the mailing list and talk about it.

OpenStack Israel

We're less than 2 weeks away from OpenStack Israel.
http://www.openstack-israel.org/  It's one of the premier events in the
OpenStack world, gathering experts from various companies and
continents. Israel has a vibrant OpenStack community, and this is
always a well-attended event. There's still time to register, at
http://www.openstack-israel.org/#!register/c24vq  but hurry, there's
only a few remaining tickets.

Red Hat Summit

We will be at Red Hat Summit in just a few weeks - June 23-26 in Boston.
http://www.redhat.com/summit/  There's a ton of great OpenStack content
scheduled - http://tm3.org/rhsummit-openstack - and RDO will be in the
Red Hat Summit Community Theater, so drop by and see us. We're also
trying to obtain a space for another RDO Community Meetup - details are
still being worked on. Come ask us at the booth for when and where that
will be taking place.

Meetups

Each week we post the upcoming OpenStack meetups to rdo-list, and to
the RDO website, at http://rdoproject.org/Events

We want to hear from you about the events that you've attended, and
especially the ones that you're speaking at, so that we can continue
to promote upcoming events and grow the community.

Keep in touch

There's lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the
RDO community. The best ways are ...

WWW
   * RDO - http://rdoproject.org/
   * OpenStack Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/

Mailing Lists:
   * rdo-list mailing list -
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-list
   * This newsletter -
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-newsletter

IRC
   * IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net
   * Puppet module development - #rdo-puppet

Social Media:
   * Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/rdocommunity
   * Google+ - http://tm3.org/rdogplus
   * Facebook - http://facebook.com/rdocommunity

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
OpenStack Community Liaison
http://rdoproject.org/