[Rdo-newsletter] RDO Community Newsletter: May 2014

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Mon May 5 13:39:48 UTC 2014

Thanks for being part of the RDO community! Be sure to tell your
friends and colleagues to sign up, at
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-newsletter

We'd also like to hear your thoughts on how we can improve the newsletter
in the coming months. There's a very quick survey (2-5 minutes) at
http://tm3.org/rdosurvey  Thanks!

OpenStack Summit

Of course the big news in May is the OpenStack Summit, Juno edition,
which will take place in Atlanta Georgia in next week. You can see
the great lineup of talks and events at http://openstack.org/summit
and it's still not too late to register. You'll have the chance to
meet many of the RDO engineers, and attend 20+ talks by people from
the Red Hat OpenStack team - http://tm3.org/rdosummit

On Wednesday night, come have a drink on us at the World of Coca-Cola,
and rub elbows with the RDO team over hors d'oeuvres -
http://tm3.org/summitparty

And we'll be in the Red Hat booth all day, doing demos of RDO, as
well as Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform. Drop by for the
Booth Crawl on Monday evening to tell us what you're doing with
OpenStack.

LinuxCon Tokyo

On May 20-22, the week after the OpenStack Summit, we'll be in Tokyo for
LinuxCon Japan, Gluster Community Day, and CloudOpen Japan. Stop by
the Red Hat booth to find out about the Icehouse release of RDO, and what
coming in the Juno release later this year.

Icehouse Release

OpenStack Icehouse released on April 17th
http://openstack.org/icehouse/ - and it's better than ever, with 350
new features contributed by more than 1,200 developers from around
the world. To get started using OpenStack Icehouse today, go to the
RDO QuickStart page at http://openstack.redhat.com/Quickstart and
follow the steps. If you're already running an earlier version of
OpenStack, the upgrading doc at
http://openstack.redhat.com/Upgrading_RDO_To_Icehouse is the way to
go. (See
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2014-April/msg00105.html for
the more detailed list of what's in those packages.)

Over the coming months, we'll be hosting hangouts to talk about
what's new in Icehouse, and we started with a presentation by Steve
Baker about what's new in Heat. If you missed it, you can still watch
it at https://plus.google.com/u/1/events/ckhqrki6iepg12vkqk5vnt7ijd0

And in May, we're going to have a hangout about TripleO, and advances
in OpenStack's ease of installation and deployment. Follow us on
Twitter - @rdocommunity - to find out exact date and time
information.

New HowTos and Wiki Articles

The RDO engineers have been really busy the last few months working
on the Icehouse code. With the code freeze leading up to the release,
some of them had a moment to catch up on their writing, and we've
gotten some great content showing up in the weeks since the release.

The following new HowTo articles have been added to the RDO wiki:

* TripleO VM Setip - http://openstack.redhat.com/TripleO_VM_Setup
* Using MariDB+Galera Cluster with RDO Havana -
http://openstack.redhat.com/TripleO_VM_Setup
* Upgrading RDO To Icehouse -
http://openstack.redhat.com/Upgrading_RDO_To_Icehouse
* Deploying RDO using Instack -
http://openstack.redhat.com/Deploying_RDO_using_Instack
* Setting up High Availability -
http://openstack.redhat.com/Setting_up_High_Availability

If you're interested in contributing to the RDO documentation, just
roll up your sleeves and get started - It's a wiki. Register at
http://openstack.redhat.com/forum/entry/register and start writing.
Or, if you prefer to write it somewhere else, just drop me a note at
rbowen at redhat.com and we'll link to it.

Welcome Ceph!

Last week we announced that Red Hat has agreed to acquire Inktank, the
provider of the Ceph filesystem. You can read the full press release at
http://tm3.org/redhatinktank

RDO welcomes Ceph to the Red Hat storage family, and we're looking
forward to working more closely with the Ceph community in the coming
years.

Stay in Touch

Thanks for reading this far. We really want to know if the newsletter
is worth your time, whether you read it at all, and what we can do to
make it more useful. Please consider filling out the (very short!) survey
at http://tm3.org/rdosurvey to help us make it better. Thanks!

Meanwhile, the best ways to keep up with what's going on in the RDO
community are:

* Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/rdocommunity
* Google+ - http://tm3.org/rdogplus

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!

--
Rich Bowen, for the RDO team
http://community.redhat.com/