[Rdo-newsletter] RDO Newsletter: March 2014

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 14:57:43 UTC 2014

Hi again, and thanks for being part of the RDO community. We've got a
number of events coming up, and various ways you can get involved in
the RDO project, as well as the upstream OpenStack community, but
first, a little bit about what's happened since the last time I wrote.

February events

Last week, Lars Kellogg-Stedman hosted a Google Hangout in which he
talked about standing up a multi-node OpenStack installation using
RDO and Packstack. You can watch that presentation at
https://plus.google.com/events/cm9ff549vmsim737lj7hopk4gao and the
slides from the presentation, including cut-and-paste command lines
to reproduce the setup yourself, can be found at http://goo.gl/Yvmd0P
Other past RDO hangouts can be seen at
http://openstack.redhat.com/Hangouts along with announcements of
upcoming ones.

When last I wrote, I was in Belgium attending FOSDEM. That event was
fantastic, and a little overwhelming, with over 5000
Free/Libre/OpenSource Software enthusiasts descending on the
University of Brussels to celebrate and learn about various software
projects and the issues surrounding them. While there, I interviewed
Ohad Levy, who works on deploying OpenStack with The Foreman, about
his work. Unfortunately, I managed to turn off the recorder before we
started talking, and I have nothing to show for it. We'll be having
that conversation again over the phone in the coming days, and I'll
publish that on the RDO website.

Additionally, I attended Configuration Management Camp -
http://cfgmgmtcamp.eu/ - and Infrastructure.next -
http://lanyrd.com/2014/infranext/ - in Ghent, which focused on issues
that are important to us in the OpenStack world - configuration
management, automation, and monitoring.

Last weekend, RDO had a table at SCaLE - the Southern California
Linux Expo - http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/blog/scale-12x - where we
had steady traffic through the whole event, with people telling us
how much they love RDO, and other folks asking a lot of great
questions about OpenStack, and where it fits into the larger cloud
ecosystem, including projects like oVirt and OpenShift, who were our
neighbors in our booth.

Upcoming events

We are planning our next RDO Test Days on March 19th and 20th. We'll
be testing the third Icehouse milestone in preparation for the final
release of Icehouse on April 17th. You can find more about the test
day, and sign up to participate, at
http://openstack.redhat.com/RDO_test_day_Icehouse_milestone_3

We'll be hosting another Google Hangout on Thursday, March 27th.
Flavio Percoco will be telling us about the Marconi project -
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Marconi - what it is, what the plans
are for the coming releases, and how you can get involved in the
development of this new piece of OpenStack infrastructure. That event
will be streamed live (and available recorded afterwards) at
https://plus.google.com/events/ckjhm8rggnqvrnspftna845kubk
and you can add it to your calendar there to get a reminder
closer to the event.

Finally, don't forget that the OpenStack Summit is just around the
corner - May 12-16th in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. The vote has just
closed for what sessions will be presented there - many thanks to
those of you who voted - and now the selection process starts, with
track chairs putting together the schedule from the sessions that did
well in that process. We should see the schedule published in the
coming month, and then it's off to Atlanta. We hope to see you there.
Red Hat will have a booth there, featuring demos of RDO as well as
our commercial OpenStack offering. We'd love to see you there - get
your tickets early to take advantage of the early bird rates.

Stats

It's always fun to look at the statistics around OpenStack. They
shift so quickly, even from hour to hour, and it's exciting to watch
the progress of the project by the numbers.

One great place to find statistics is the Stackalytics site -
http://www.stackalytics.com/ - where you can watch contributions by
company, by module, by release, or by individual contributor.
Something I find particularly interesting, as a writer, is that the
second most active module within the ecosystem is the
openstack-manuals project. 7% of contributions are to the
documentation, second only to nova.

For RDO-specific statistics, we have
http://openstack.redhat.com/stats/ which was put together by
Bitergia, the same company that does the Stackalytics site. Here you
can track who's involved in the wiki, the mailing lists, and the
development of the code.

Get Involved

As always, a few reminders of how you can get involved in the RDO
project.

The wiki, at http://openstack.redhat.com/Docs , is one of the best
ways you can share your experience with the rest of the RDO
community. Articles about getting various scenarios working,
corrections or addenda to existing articles, or suggestions for
articles that you'd like to see written, are all a great help to
people trying to run OpenStack.

If you have questions, or if you want to help answer other people's
questions, go to http://ask.openstack.org/ where there are questions
from all over the OpenStack community - not just RDO users - and
answers from experts on a variety of aspects of OpenStack. This is
the best place to ask your questions, or to find other people who
have already asked your question and received answers and advice.

If mailing lists are more to your liking, the rdo-list mailing list
is the place to ask your questions and help other folks out with
theirs. You can sign up for the list, or make alterations to your
subscription, at http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-list

And finally, you can adjust your subscription to this newsletter, or
invite your colleagues, at
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-newsletter

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community. We look forward to
seeing your contributions.

--
Rich Bowen, for the RDO community
rbowen at redhat.com