[Rdo-newsletter] February RDO Community Newsletter

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Mon Feb 10 14:57:13 UTC 2014

My apologies. I sent this last week, and addressed it to the wrong
place. So the first few paragraphs are somewhat out of date.

Thanks for being part of the RDO community!

Upcoming Conferences

This week I'm traveling in Belgium for FOSDEM and several other
nearby events. It's a busy few days.

FOSDEM - https://fosdem.org/2014/ - was in Brussels, Belgium, and
around 5000 attendees were expected to attended, including a good
contingent of the RDO and OpenStack community. There was a lot of
great OpenStack content, which you can see listed at
http://fnords.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/openstack-fosdem-14/

Immediately following FOSDEM, Config Management Camp is currently
ongoing in the nearby town of Ghent, February 3 and 4. That's where I
am right now, as I write this, You can read more about this event at
http://cfgmgmtcamp.eu/ Config Management Camp doesn't have content
directly about OpenStack, but of course Packstack is built on top of
Puppet, and you can also deploy RDO with The Foreman, and there's
a number of talks about both of those projects here.

Following Config Management Camp, Red Hat is sponsoring
Infrastructure.next, a one-day event - February 5 - around evolving
tools and projects for managing large-scale IT infrastructure. From
storage to configuration management to virtualization infrastructure,
all the way to Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS). You can see the
schedule of talks at http://lanyrd.com/2014/infranext/

Later in February, RDO will have a booth at SCALE - Southern
California Linux Expo. That's February 21-23, in Los Angeles. You can
find out more about SCALE at https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale12x
On the 21st - the first day of SCALE - Red Hat will be sponsoring
another Infrastructure.Next, where I'll be reprising my Ceilometer
talk, and there will again be a lot of great content for people
thinking about moving their services to a cloud infrastructure.

Other Upcoming Events

With the OpenStack Icehouse milestone 2 out on January 23rd, we'll be
conducting another RDO test day on February 4th and 5th to hammer out
any problems with this release. Find out more, and sign up to
participate, at
http://openstack.redhat.com/RDO_test_day_Icehouse_milestone_2

Derek Higgins will be presenting "Deploying OpenStack with Triple-O
and Tuskar" at the OpenStack France Meet-up in Paris on February
11th: http://www.meetup.com/OpenStack-France/events/161704432/

On Thusday, February 27th, Lars Kellogg-Stedman will be leading a
Google Hangout in which he will be doing a walk-through of a
multinode deployment with packstack.See
http://openstack.redhat.com/Hangouts#Upcoming_Hangouts for details of
this event, or follow us on Twitter (@rdocommunity) for a reminder
closer to the event.

CentOS Cloud SIG

In January, Red Hat announced new involvement in the CentOS project.
You can read more about that announcement at
http://www.redhat.com/about/news/press-archive/2014/1/red-hat-and-centos-join-forces

On the heels of that announcement, OpenStack and other cloud
infrastructure projects have started talking about what this means
for us, and how we can create variants of CentOS that make it easier
to deploy these infrastructures.

This conversation is happening on the centos-devel mailing list (
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel ) so please
join that list if you want to participate in the effort. You can also
watch the "Office Hours" hangout at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKKYY_5SOWw in which members of the
various cloud infrastructure projects discuss the way forward in
creating a Cloud SIG (Special Interest Group) to produce these
variants and liveCD distributions.

IRC Meetings

We've started several regular IRC meetings, to move what we're doing
more into the public view.

The weekly community team meeting, which had been happening on the
phone, has moved to IRC. If you'd like to see what the community team
is up to, come to the #rdo channel on Freenode at 9am Eastern USA
time, each Tuesday. We also post a meeting summary to the rdo-list
mailing list ( http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-list ) for
anyone who can't make it to the meeting.

We've also started a bug triage meeting on IRC, in which we attempt
to at least assign all of the open bugs that nobody's working on yet.
The first of these was on Wednesday January 15th, and upcoming ones
will be announced on the rdo-list mailing list until we figure out
what the right cadence is for those meetings.

Community events like these are posted on the RDO Community Google
calendar. If you use Google Calendar, you can paste the following
into the entry box under "Other calendars" where it says "Add a
friend's calendar" -
6m0up994frfg2td6dpmubtn31s at group.calendar.google.com

If you use some other calendaring software, you can subscribe using the
ICS address:
http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/6m0up994frfg2td6dpmubtn31s%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

OpenStack Foundation elections

The OpenStack foundation recently held elections for the board of
directors.

We'd like to extend a special congratulations to Mark McLoughlin who
was elected as an Individual Director. You can see the full board at
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2014-January/001616.html

One of the cool things about OpenStack is that although the directors
represent various companies, they first represent OpenStack, and make
decisions that benefit the project and the foundation first, and
their companies come after. So we're proud that someone from the RDO
community is on the board, and we're thrilled that he considers the
well-being of the project to be the first priority.

In Closing

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community. We've hardly had a
moment to catch our breath this year, and it looks like the pace is
going to continue. So bring your friends and colleagues along to
share the work, and to help take this exciting technology to the next
level.

Once again, you can keep up with what's going by following us on
Twitter - @rdocommunity - or the rdo-list mailing list -