[rdo-dev] static container image hosting

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 16:36:42 UTC 2020

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 9:09 AM Ken Dreyer <kdreyer at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> At a previous OpenStack Summit, I remember talking to a developer who
> was working on an application that would host container images. I
> think the idea was to host everything (or almost everything) as flat
> files on disk that Apache or nginx could serve directly. (I think this
> was in the context of undercloud image hosting?).
>
> I can't remember the details now, and I can't find any such project with Google.
>
> Does this ring a bell with anyone?

This is what we do on the tripleo undercloud using the image-serve
service[0]. We have python code that extracts the layers out and
writes it to disk[1][2] which makes it effectively a read only
registry.  Though the amount of code to do all this is terribly
complex and I wouldn't recommend doing it for anything else.  If you
can use the docker-registry via a container[3], that'd likely be a
better solution if you can (though may not be possible for various
reasons).

[0] https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-ansible/tree/master/tripleo_ansible/roles/tripleo_image_serve
[1] https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-common/blob/master/tripleo_common/image/image_export.py
[2] https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-common/blob/master/tripleo_common/image/image_uploader.py#L2119