[rdo-dev] Can rdo help pypa bring us less surprises?

Sorin Sbarnea ssbarnea at redhat.com
Thu Mar 19 10:02:30 UTC 2020

Over the years a huge number of problems I encountered with openstack where related to python core packaging tools.

I got into talks with few maintainers of these to see if they would be interested in improving the test coverage, so we would have less issues.

We could use rdo zuul infrastucture to run these tests and provide feedback directly to these projects.

I doubt that the extra load would be signifiant from our point of view and IMHO the benefits are going to be huge for us:
- better coverage on Red Hat platforms
- far less surprise changes from new releases of pip, setuptools, virtualenv.

I may sound as extra headaches, but I wonder if the benefits would not be significantly bigger.

What do you think?

PS. Please keep RPM packaging out of this topic, that is another aspect which would benefit from this but cannot replace it.

Thanks
Sorin Sbarnea