[rdo-dev] Status of RDO Trunk Ussuri on CentOS 7 and transition to CentOS 8

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 13:39:58 UTC 2020

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 9:04 AM Alfredo Moralejo Alonso
<amoralej at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to open a discussion about the status of RDO Ussuri repositories on CentOS7.
>
> As you know RDO and upstream teams (kolla, puppet-openstack, TripleO, TripleO CI, etc...) have been working to switch to CentOS8 during last few weeks.
>
> In order to make the transition easier from CentOS 7 to CentOS 8, RDO is still maintaining Trunk repos consistent for both CentOS 7/Python 2 and CentOS 8/Python 3. As OpenStack projects have been dropping support for Python 2, we've started pinning them to the last commit working with Python 2[1], we were expecting that transition will finish soon but it's still going on. Over time, the number of pinned packages has been growing including services and Oslo libraries where we can't follow upper-constraints anymore[2]. Recently, Kolla has removed support for CentOS 7 so i doubt it makes sense to keep pinning packages to keep RDO Trunk consistent artificially and continue running promotion pipelines on a repo with so many outdated packages. Also, pinning these projects makes that changes needed for CentOS 8 will not be in RDO and would need to be backported manually to each package. My proposal is:
>
> - Unpin all packages in Ussuri to follow master trunk, or versions in upper-constraints (for clients and libraries).
> - RDO Ussuri on CentOS 7 repo consistent link will not move anymore (so no more promotions based on it).
> - We will keep running centos7-master DLRN builder, so that packages still builing with Python 2 will be available in current repo [3] to be used by teams needing them until migration to CentOS 8 is finished everywhere.
> - Projects which already have CentOS 8 jobs gating in master branch can remove CentOS 7 ones.
>
> We understand this can add some pressure on moving to CentOS8 to the teams working on it, but I'd say it's already a priority and it's justified at this stage.
>
> What do you think about this plan?, is there any reason to keep CentOS 7 artificially consistent and promoting at this point of the transition to CentOS 8?

Has anyone considered just switching everything to Python 3 for both?
Python 3 is now included in CentOS 7 and there's already a large
number of pre-built Python 3 modules in EPEL7.

Failing that, I'd rather just see CentOS 7 support discontinued for
upcoming releases.