[rdo-dev] [infra][tripleoci] ppc64le container images in registry.rdoproject.org

Trevor Vardeman tvardema at redhat.com
Fri Mar 22 16:45:53 UTC 2019

> On Mar 22, 2019, at 8:46 AM, Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 3:36 AM Javier Pena <jpena at redhat.com> wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm getting the right information here, but from what I understand, a namespace is just a separate repo inside the same image registry, is that right?  I'm not sure if manifest list images can be created between images in different namespaces, but if its possible, that's how things *should* be done.  I'm not advocating for it to be done this way immediately (unless the changes turn out to be relatively trivial), but it should be the end goal of making this multiarch aware.

To explain: the suggested change to putting specific architecture images in their own separate namespaces might not be a problem, assuming a manifest list image can be set up across namespaces.  However, if that's not possible, then we should append (or prepend) the architecture to the tag, and create the manifest list image with the original name that has no architecture described.  This would extend existing functionality within the registry itself, and allow for a seamless transition to the consumers of these images.

The final list of images would be as follows:
x86_64 specific image:
- tripleomaster/centos-binary-neutron-l3-agent:42a882962919b867c91a182b83acca6d8004096e_ee467b40_x86_64

ppc64le specific image:
- tripleomaster/centos-binary-neutron-l3-agent:42a882962919b867c91a182b83acca6d8004096e_ee467b40_ppc64le

manifest list image:
- tripleomaster/centos-binary-neutron-l3-agent:42a882962919b867c91a182b83acca6d8004096e_ee467b40

So the consumer would do "docker pull tripleomaster/centos-binary-neutron-l3-agent:42a882962919b867c91a182b83acca6d8004096e_ee467b40" and it would automatically retrieve the appropriate architecture image based on the host machine's architecture.

*IF* manifest list images can span across namespaces, all you'd have to do is move those architecture tags to the namespace definition, and you could *still* use the same manifest list image definition above and it would work the same way.

-Trevor