[rdo-dev] [tripleo] Component-based RDO Trunk for CentOS 8

Javier Pena jpena at redhat.com
Tue Dec 10 13:43:54 UTC 2019

Hi,

During the last few months, we have been working on a component-based concept for RDO Trunk. This means that the set of packages in RDO Trunks will be split into separate logical components, that can be promoted independently by the TripleO CI. Thus, an issue in one component will not necessarily stop all updates, just those related to that component.

We have successfully prototyped the concept (see [1]), and we are ready to move on to the implementation stage. The upcoming CentOS8-based builder is a good opportunity to start from scratch, so we are planning to create it with components.

What do we need from you? We have an initial proposal for the component split in [2], and we need your reviews to ensure we have placed the right packages on each component (of course this can change over time). Once the component list is agreed, we will proceed to merge all relevant patches ([3]) and create the new RDO Trunk builder.

>From a user's perspective, you should not notice any change: promoted repositories will still be delivered from the same locations (e.g. trunk.rdoproject.org/centos8-master/current-tripleo/delorean.repo). The under-the-hood changes will mostly affect the TripleO CI team.

Regards,
Javier

[1] - https://trunk-staging.rdoproject.org/centos7/report.html