[rdo-dev] [infra][tripleo-ci] Disk space usage in logs.rdoproject.org

Javier Pena jpena at redhat.com
Wed Aug 14 08:53:20 UTC 2019

----- Original Message -----
> Hi all,
>
> For the last few days, I have been monitoring a spike in disk space
> utilization for logs.rdoproject.org. The current situation is:
>
> - 94% of space used, with less than 140GB out of 2TB available.
> - The log pruning script has been reclaiming less space than we are using for
> new logs during this week.
> - I expect the situation to improve over the weekend, but we're definitely
> running out of space.
>
> I have looked at a random job (https://review.opendev.org/639324, patch set
> 26), and found that each run is consuming 1.2 GB of disk space in logs. The
> worst offenders I have found are:
>
> - atop.bin.gz files (one per job, 8 jobs per recheck), ranging between 15 and
> 40 MB each
> - logs/undercloud/home/zuul/tempest/.stackviz directory on
> tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-3ctlr_1comp-featureset001 jobs, which is a
> virtualenv eating up 81 MB.
>
> As a temporary measure, I am reducing log retention from 21 days to 14, but
> we still need to reduce the rate at which we are uploading logs. Would it be
> possible to check the oooq-generated logs and see where we can reduce? These
> jobs are by far the ones consuming most space.

Two months after this e-mail, we're having the same situation.

Disk I/O performance on RDO Cloud is not great, so we're close to 95% disk space usage, and old logs deletion is slower than new logs addition. On top of this, any attempt to clear logs more aggressively cause additional load on the server, which results on failed log uploads [1].

Please, could we tackle the excessive log uploads asap? I see the .stackviz virtualenv directories are still being uploaded. If we don't fix this soon, we'll end up having unwanted downtime in the log server, which will affect all jobs.

Thanks,
Javier

[1] - https://review.rdoproject.org/zuul/builds?result=POST_FAILURE