[rdo-dev] Rebuilding openstack-rocky packages on premise.

Thomas Oulevey thomas.oulevey at cern.ch
Mon Sep 3 13:35:16 UTC 2018

Dear All,

After Rocky release we discovered that Build requires only dependencies
are not shipped anymore in the final repository/release. (Which was
still the case with Queens)

For us it is a issue as we need to patch and rebuild few Openstack package.

As discussed on IRC, the obvious solution is to mirror the
cloud7-openstack-rocky-el7-build [2] as build dependencies have been
tagged there and use this repository with our builders.

However this mean to sync to an internal mirror almost the whole
distribution (koji internal repo do a big mergerepo) for each Openstack
release (and very often as the buildroot tag is updated almost everyday).

Could we think about a better way for Stein ?

Maybe we could have an extra tag for build dependencies that is
inherited by the buildroot tag ? And push these packages somewhere more
accessible for power users ? I am not sure that overloading the
buildroot tag was foreseen from the initial koji design.
Also koji web cannot be used as a reliable mirror.

I think it is important to provide to the community a way to rebuild
packages as it was the case with previous release.

Also, can we document this change and workaround somewhere ?

Let me know if you have better ideas and or comments !

--
Thomas Oulevey

[1]:
http://cbs.centos.org/kojifiles/repos/cloud7-openstack-rocky-el7-build/latest/x86_64/