[rdo-dev] Status of python3 PoC in RDO - 13-jul-2018

Alan Pevec apevec at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 09:43:14 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:11 AM Martin André <m.andre at redhat.com> wrote:
>> AFAIK, before getting CI involved to create a job to build container we need to get patches merged in kolla to build containers for fedora/python3. I'm not sure if there is a ETA for it. Adding Martin to CC, he may have some estimation for it.
> There is absolutely no chance this patch [1] merges into kolla as it. It's a very ugly hack where I'm basically swapping the centos binary distro to be based on fedora:28. The idea was to prove feasibility and for you to have a patch you can pull in your build pipeline that allowed you to build fedora:28 based images. Integrating fedora based images in kolla properly would require a lot more work, and that's not really something I'm keen to do since it would send the wrong message that kolla supports fedora base.
>
> Does it sound reasonable?

That might work for a first PoC iteration, at the same time we need a
complete solution using a pattern you can see in Fedora packaging:

%if 0%{?fedora} || 0%{?rhel} >= 8

i.e. Kolla and other upstream projects need to start preparing for
real using Fedora based packages, taking into account that next RHEL
is based on current Fedora and in before Beta most of the changes are
done directly in Fedora then imported internally. Waiting for CentOS 8
will be too late since it will come out only after RHEL GA,
historically there weren't CentOS Betas.

Cheers,
Alan