[rdo-dev] Retiring of openstack namespace projects in review.rdoproject.org

Alfredo Moralejo Alonso amoralej at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 09:25:38 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 7:21 PM, Paul Belanger <pabelanger at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 07:57:11PM -0400, Paul Belanger wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I'd like to raise another topic related to the recent migration of
> zuulv3.
> > Today the rdoproject has a lot of projects in gerrit of upstream
> openstack, for
> > example:
> >
> >   # Mirror of upstream aodh (mirror + patches)
> >   git clone https://review.rdoproject.org/r/openstack/aodh
> >
> > these are projects in the openstack namespace that are not distgit
> packaging.
> > With the migration to zuulv3, this actually creates a little bit of an
> issue due
> > to how zuul now load configuration.  If you look at the project stanza
> in config
> > project you'll see something like:
> >
> >   - project:
> >       name: git.openstack.org/openstack/aodh
> >
> >   - project:
> >       name: review.rdoproject.org/openstack/aodh
> >
> > This is the tell zuul, which connection to gerrit should be used.
> However, in
> > most cases these projects are just running a simple tox job to ensure
> tests
> > work.
> >
> > However, from what I see these projects aren't really used anymore? Is
> that
> > correct?  If so, can we start the process to retire these repos and
> remove them
> > from zuul configuration? This will help simplify the amount of things
> zuul needs
> > to know about.
> >
> > If we do need them, moving forward, I don't actually think we need to
> mirror the
> > full project any more, this is due to zuul jobs can now be written to
> first
> > require-project of the upstream project, clone it to a node, then we
> just need
> > to overlay downstream patches.  However, I think this workflow needs a
> little
> > more work to make it work properly.
> >
> Talking with apevec about this last week, I think it was agreed a while
> back,
> this workflow is no longer actually needed. So if that is the case, we are
> actually safe to retire these projects and remove them from zuul.

We very rarely do backports in RDO repos so I think we can safely remove
the mirrors from upstream projects from review.r.o.

However my understanding is that we still may need it in exceptional cases.
For those cases we may create the patches repos and branches when required
and use the existing workflow based on patches to review.r.o and rdopkg.
Otherwise, we need to investigate a new workflow. Am I right?