[rdo-list] Where and how should the DLRN API based promotion run?

Javier Pena javier.pena at redhat.com
Tue Oct 3 16:12:23 UTC 2017

> I want to follow up this conversation from this review:
>
> https://review.rdoproject.org/r/9846
>
> For reference, we're talking about the way we will do promotions based
> on DLRN API using this piece of script I called dlrnapi_promoter[1].
>
>   > Attila, John, Wes, I'm not convinced we need a dedicated machine
>   > for this.
>   > Can we take some time to discuss if a cron on a machine is the
>   > right approach in the first place ?
>   >
>   > I feel there's a lot of different options available but we haven't
>   > had the opportunity to discuss them.
>   >
>   > For example, a jenkins job that would trigger periodically or
>   > through content change on the DLRN API result pages ? I'm sure we
>   > could come up with different ideas.
>
> These are the most obvious other options (for me):
>
> 1. Make this promotion logic part of DLRN -- I would have preferred this
> but didn't see interest in this from Javier or from any of you when I
> pitched it a while ago -- probably too late in the design process of the
> API. Even the promotion API that we really needed was an afterthought
> for DLRN API, so we didn't really cooperate on the design to begin with.
> Adding this logic would have been my preference. We should do better
> next time.

The DLRN API was designed to be pretty much a "dumb" reporting API. Adding all this logic to the API would make it too RDO-pipeline-specific, so I still think this is better handled as an external tool. With this, we can change all promotion logic without even touching the API itself.

> 2. Run this separately but *on* the DLRN server. I couldn't even get a
> proper approval for me and Gabriele and Sagi to get submit rights in the
> 'config' repo after a month[2]. I didn't even try to force this -- seems
> like our communication and cooperation is inflexible enough for now to
> not try to force this level of cohabitation to save the resources to run
> a single VM. I think it makes sense to run this separately.

This sounds good to me. We already have a promoter user in the DLRN instance, and it should not be too complicated to add the required code to puppet-dlrn to use the promoter script, then add a cron job.

> 3. Run this in a zuul job constantly polling: we would use the same
> amount of resources as having a dedicated machine, there's no good
> reason for doing it.
>
> 4. Run this based on some triggers: We want to be able to rerun failed
> jobs (RDO Phase1 & Phase2) and have the promotion succeed. We will have
> a ton of jobs that would trigger these scripts when they finish and
> there's no point in doing it after every single job, time based check
> seems to be more useful. If we don't run it after every single job
> finishes, it might miss a possible window for promotion.

That could be a good option, depending on the details. David, can you share your thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Javier