[rdo-dev] [all] Revisiting RDO Technical Definition of Done

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Wed Nov 29 14:57:18 UTC 2017

​On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Haïkel <hguemar at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > - CI promotion GA criteria is changed from Jenkins pipeline to the
> > list of jobs running with RPM packages directly, initial set would be
> > all weirdo jobs running in [3]
>
> I'd like to ensure that TripleO CI is still monitored closely during
> the development cycle.
> So it can be a non-blocking criteria for GA.
>
> As Javier noticed it means that our jobs will be based upon POI and
> packstack. It should encourage
> us to work with other installers supporting "raw" packages to make
> sure that we will be able to test our
> artefacts long-term.
>
> > - TripleO jobs would not be part of RDO GA criteria since TripelO now
> > requires containers which RDO will not ship.TripleO promotion CI will
> > continue running with containers built with RDO Trunk packages.
> >

> Question is to know if upstream is okay with shipping containers images
> using
> our trunk packages. Otherwise ack.

All deployment projects are cycle-trailing [1] which means OpenStack cuts a
release on day 0 and projects such as TripleO,
​Kolla, ​
Packstack and
Puppet-OpenStack can lag behind quite a bit
​, sometimes more than a week.​

This puts us in a very odd chicken-and-egg scenario where the deployment
projects aren't ready but we are.

RDO's job is to package and ship the signed tarballs as delivered by the
OpenStack release.
​​
Whether or not TripleO, Packstack or Puppet-OpenStack works with the release
packages is pretty unlikely to be because of problems with RDO *packages*.

​The content of the tarballs isn't going to change. If we end up finding a
legit
bug in the packaging (spec files, mirrors, etc.), these can be hotfixed
easily.
​
IMO, when comes release time, installers should be used to sanity check the
*repositories* to ensure there are no missing packages, that the packages
are
at the right versions, etc. They've actually been quite helpful with that
in the
past.

If there are installer bugs, I would not block the release of RDO.

​[1]:
https://releases.openstack.org/reference/release_models.html#cycle-trailing​

David Moreau Simard
Senior Software Engineer | OpenStack RDO

dmsimard = [irc, github, twitter]