[rdo-list] [TripleO] What's the plan for shipping Pike TripleO containers ?

Van Leeuwen, Robert rovanleeuwen at ebay.com
Wed Aug 30 07:49:21 UTC 2017

> snip
> It's probably also worth asking if we want to be shipping stable
> containers at all ? Who will be the users of those stable containers ?
> snip

My  2cts as a consumer of “just” RDO packages and working to move to containers:
(We are currently running our own puppet infra and have something like a homegrown Triple0 (under-overcloud))

What I see us doing is building our own containers with Kolla putting as much of our own config in there except what needs to change at runtime.
Runtime stuff are mostly passwords and things depending on the region.

Some reasons for building our own containers:
*  we have some home grown code to put in the pipelines of various OpenStack components
* makes for minimal configuration needed at deploy time if the container itself includes all settings
A nice bonus I see is that we can deploy from source if ever needed with Kolla.

Do note that we might not be a “standard” user in many regards as we have the skillset and time to do these things by ourselves.

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen