[rdo-list] Adding backwards compatible tripleo-heat-templates packaging

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 21:43:32 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 4:59 AM, Alan Pevec <apevec at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> I think something like this (having an openstack-tripleo-heat-templates-compat-mitaka package or similar) would work best.
>>>
>>> This would also allow us to decide when to drop support for older releases. Newton will have a mitaka-compat package, but we'll sure drop it in a later release, won't we? We could then just control which packages are built for each release using rdoinfo.
>>
>> If we do this, *every* release will drop a package and add a package.
>> The tripleo team won't commit to supporting more than 1 version back
>> currently, so -mitaka would only be included with the newton release.
>
> If that's defined in a tripleo spec, please provide a link.
>
>> In Ocata, we'd drop mitaka and add -newton.  This is part of the
>> reason that a single tarball made things easier.  Just get the right
>> source tarball for old release and build it in a single package.  An
>> update per release in a single spec file is generally easier than a
>> new package.
>
> How is that done in upstream tripleoci jobs which is testing upgrade?

This isn't upgrade, it's old version support.  Managing a Mitaka
overcloud with a Newton undercloud.  AFAIK, there is no support for
this in CI today due to the lack of this compat package existing in
RDO.

> Is that just checking out stable branch? Link please :)
> Problmem with the proposed change is how to supply Source1 to Trunk
> builders, currently it handles only single Source0 by replacing it
> with the tarball generated from the git checkout. We would have to
> keep full Source1 tarball in the distgit and manually keep it in sync
> with the stable source branch.
> While this might look like a nail-hammer tool deficiency, tracking two
> branches in the same package is really adding unnecessary complexity.
> What about adding a new package
> openstack-tripleo-heat-templates-compat which would be configured in
> rdoinfo to take Source0 from the previous stable branch and only that
> metadata would get updated for the new release e.g.
> - project: tripleo-heat-templates-compat
>   tags:
>     newton-uc:
>       source-branch: stable/mitaka
>     newton:
>       source-branch: stable/mitaka
>    mitaka:
>       source-branch: stable/liberty
>   conf: rpmfactory-core
>   maintainers:
>   - mburns at redhat.com

I'm fine with this (except I shouldn't be the long term owner, but
we'll solve that later).

> It would install into {_datadir}/%{name}/%{old_name} and
> openstack-tripleo-heat-templates could have Requires:
> openstack-tripleo-heat-templates-compat so that no changes are
> required in the installer.

I've posted an initial spec here:

https://github.com/mburns72h/openstack-tripleo-heat-templates-compat-distgit

Mike