[rdo-list] Maintaining os-*-config in Fedora

James Slagle jslagle at redhat.com
Fri Oct 7 20:00:33 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 07:00:36PM +0200, Haïkel wrote:
> > os-*-config (apply, cloud, collect, refresh, net) are still maintained in
> > Fedora (despite that the maintainers, myself included, have not been doing
> > regular builds).
> >
> > I've been asked by a couple people from Fedora to update these packages to
> > build python 3 packages, and some other things like removing outdated Requires
> > on python libraries that are now in the stdlib (argparse, etc).
> >
> > This raised the question for me though if we still want to maintain these
> > packages in Fedora at all. Aiui, they were not retired when the rest of the
> > core OpenStack packages were retired because os-*-config is useful when using
> > Fedora as an instance orchestarted via Heat on OpenStack.
> >
> > However, we haven't been properly maintaining these packages in Fedora by doing
> > updated builds to pick up new releases, not to mention that these packages and
> > use case are entirely untested on Fedora to the best of my knowledge.
> >
> > os-cloud-config I think we can retire from Fedora without any concern since it
> > is specific to TripleO.
> >
> > For the others, is there anyone who wants to take them over to continue to work
> > on the "Fedora as an instance orchestrated via Heat" use case? If not, I
> > propose to retire the others as well.
> >
> > Note that diskimage-builder and dib-utls are also still in Fedora but it
> > appears that pabelanger has been keeping those updated, so is likely using
> > them.
> >

> Well as a matter of fact, we can just sync them like we do with clients.
> If they're useful to orchestrate Fedora instances with Heat, then I'd
> rather keep them around.

I did end up talking with Steve Baker about this and he indicated that he'd
like to see them still be maintained in Fedora.

So, I removed the outdated Requires and did new builds for rawhide for the
recently released Newton versions for os-*-config (except for os-cloud-config
which is TripleO specific and now retired in Fedora).

I made sure the spec file changes are in sync in RDO packaging as well.

--
-- James Slagle