[rdo-list] Third party DLRN CI and the need for a "-head" builder

Javier Pena javier.pena at redhat.com
Fri Oct 7 07:29:50 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> So with the help of Paul Belanger, we've identified the issue that
> prevented the "openstack-check-verified" pipeline from working.
>
> The Zuul openstack-check-verified pipeline [1] from
> review.rdoproject.org can be used to trigger builds on upstream
> projects on each patchset, only when Jenkins has +1'd it.
> The goal with this pipeline is to do third party CI with DLRN in order
> to try and build projects' patches to warn us for failure to build
> errors ahead of time, even before the change merges.
>
> We're not planning on voting on the Gerrit changes, it's solely to
> check if there are any issues building the project with that
> particular patch.
>
> So we really have two Ocata DLRN instances now, one that is pinned to
> upper-constraints [2] and one that builds the "master of everything"
> [3].
> I was thinking... If we're able to do third party CI against upstream
> with DLRN do we need that "head" instance ?
>
> The "head" instance exists, as far as I know, to let us know if
> anything from unpinned projects fails to build.
> The third party CI will let us know that -- and even before, ahead of
> time, before the change causing the failure even merges.

I think we still need the "head" instance, even if it's only used to provide a repo for the third party CI to use when building.

One example: the current python-openstackclient in head fails to build due to a funny interaction with os-client-config [1][2]. This os-client-config version is not yet in u-c, so if we used the u-c repo to gate, we would never see it in our gate.

We might reduce the build frequency to once a day or so, but we still need that instance.

Javier

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-openstackclient/+bug/1630694
[2] https://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7-master-head/ea/7f/ea7f28fb4acd39345bb95809a952e03ed802a9ff_32c5a2ce/rpmbuild.log