[rdo-list] [TripleO] quickstart undercloud problems.

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 01:22:18 UTC 2016

Sent from my mobile

On Nov 19, 2016 09:53, "Nate" <war at undrground.org> wrote:

> Did you ever type up a lengthy email to a list, looking for help, and
then the moment you hit send, a lightbulb goes on, and you fix your ow
problem?

Ha, I know I have. Not a problem, we're on #rdo if anything else comes up.

Take care

> Apparently when I built my test system, my build environment turned on
iptables (like I've told it to) and it was too restrictive.  I flushed
iptables, and disabled puppet (so it wouldnt turn it back on again)
rebooted the undercloud vm, and guess what?  It's on the network now.

> Quickstart is now able to communicate with the undercloud vm.
>
> To anyone reading this, having a similar problem....  Check iptables.
>
> :headdesk:
>
> -----------
> RHCSA, RHCE, RHCVA (#110-011-426)
> gpg public key:
> https://keybase.io/gangrif
> - or -
> MIT's public key server, pgp.mit.edu

and ooo quickstart on Centos 7.

https://www.rdoproject.org/tripleo/

> I am running quickstart from the same system i'm targeting.  So i'm
setting $VIRTHOST to localhost, or the local IP of the box (192.168.3.10),
I've tried it both ways, which doesn't seem to make a difference.  I'm
running quickstart as my local use, not the stack user.

> Initially things appear to run along nicely, the script downloads images
and whatnot, it even starts up the undercloud vm as the stack user.

> [stack at fog ~]$ virsh list
>  Id    Name                           State
>  2     undercloud                     running
>

> When quickstart gets to the point where it's attempting to determine the
IP of the undercloud VM, it fails.  I did a little digging on how exactly
that works, and found that the script which it runs is not getting any
results.

> >From the script:
> mac=$(virsh dumpxml $VMNAME | awk -F "'" '/mac address/ { print $2; exit
}')

> # Look up the MAC address in the ARP table.
> ip=$(ip neigh | grep $mac | awk '{print $1;}')
>
> I've tried these manually, and sure enough the mac address is not in ip
neigh.

> stack at fog .quickstart]$ virsh dumpxml undercloud | awk -F "'" '/mac
address/ { print $2; exit }'
> 00:e4:b2:54:b5:fb
> [stack at fog .quickstart]$ ip neigh | grep '00:e4:b2:54:b5:fb' | awk
'{print $1;}'
> [stack at fog .quickstart]$ ip neigh | grep -v FAILED
> 192.168.3.1 dev enp13s0 lladdr 52:54:00:ab:d2:15 REACHABLE
> 192.168.3.251 dev enp13s0 lladdr 52:54:00:f2:90:b7 REACHABLE
> [stack at fog .quickstart]$
>
> I did a virsh console on the undercloud vm, and reset it, so I could
watch it boot, and I see the following in the boot messages:

> [FAILED] Failed to start LSB: Bring up/down networking.
> See 'systemctl status network.service' for details.
>
> I cant login to the undercloud vm, as I don't have the local
username/pass.  or I'd troubleshoot that further.

> As far as I can tell the undercloud system uses standard linux bridges to
setup network communication, They appear present, but as they're not
configured in the same manner i've used in the past, I can't be certain if
they're working properly.

> [stack at fog ~]$ brctl show
> bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
> brext           8000.525400af4796       no              brext-nic
>                                                         tap0
> brovc           8000.525400180812       no              brovc-nic
>                                                         tap1
> virbr0          8000.525400a3f6b5       yes             virbr0-nic
> [stack at fog ~]$ ifconfig brext-nic
> brext-nic: flags=4098<BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
>         ether 52:54:00:af:47:96  txqueuelen 500  (Ethernet)
>         RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
>         RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
>         TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
>         TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
>
> [stack at fog ~]$ ifconfig brovc-nic
> brovc-nic: flags=4098<BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
>         ether 52:54:00:18:08:12  txqueuelen 500  (Ethernet)
>         RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
>         RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
>         TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
>         TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
>

> I've tried some other basics, like setting selinux to permissinv and
re-trying (which was a long shot) and it didn't help.