[rdo-list] RDO-Infra Weekly Scrum Recap:

John Trowbridge trown at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 14:41:56 UTC 2016

On 11/15/2016 05:22 PM, mathieu bultel wrote:
> Hi Harry,
>
> Thank you for the recap.
> I have just few questions/concerns about the following:
>
>   * review role merging code: https://review.openstack.org/396694
>       o ---> It missing the tripleo-backup role
>         (https://github.com/redhat-openstack/ansible-role-tripleo-backup)

The initial role merging is about getting feature parity with tripleo-ci
into the new repo. We can add more roles after we get CI switched over
though.

>   * plan is to run this merge script on Monday Nov. 21, and push the
>     history to the upstream repo
>       o ---> does that means that it will keep the commit history and
>         the committer ids ? I think both a really important

Yes, Attila's merge script is exactly designed for the purpose of
keeping attribution when moving the code.

>   * Who has permissions to merge in the new review.openstack.org repo?
>       o ---> I'm afraid about this part, and it's mostly my cons about
>         one big repo. Currently I'm mostly the only one who commit on
>         the overcloud-upgrade role, which needs sometimes some tricky
>         fixes or immediate workarounds. The current situation is ideal
>         to me so I'm afraid to have to loose this "cool" flexibility by
>         waiting for 2 cores to vote on probably something that are
>         really "upgrade" specific and so hard-to-review
>         (s/hard/impossible/ ?). And it's probably the case for all the
>         special roles, which are really features oriented. So did you
>         guys plan to add more cores, and if yes, who ? Afaik today,
>         there is only 4 oooq-cores, which is really weak for all the
>         work that is done on all of those roles...

This is the price of upstream development to some degree. That said, we
will need to add some more cores to tripleo-quickstart group, and I
think it could make sense to have a policy similar to tripleo where
cores are given +2 everywhere, but trusted not to +2 things they don't
understand. This would allow us to give core to "domain experts" such as
yourself and a few others. Note, the 2x +2 policy would still be in
place, so the loss of "flexibility" will still be there. It is also
worth remembering that every tripleo core is also core on
tripleo-quickstart, and many of those folks do tripleo-ci reviews. So as
we replace tripleo-ci with tripleo-quickstart, we will also get more
reviewers for "free".