[rdo-list] [TripleO] Newton large baremetal deployment issues

Charles Short cems at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Nov 4 14:45:15 UTC 2016

Hi,

So you are implying that tripleO is not really currently able to roll
out large deployments easily as it is is prone to scaling delays/errors?
Is the same true for RH OSP9 (out of the box) as this also uses
tripleO?  I would expect exactly the same scaling issues. But surely
OSP9 is designed for large enterprise Openstack installations?
So if OSP9 does work well with large deployments, what are the tripleO
tweaks that make this work (if any)?

Many Thanks

Charles

On 03/11/2016 13:30, Justin Kilpatrick wrote:
> Hey Charles,
>
> If you want to deploy a large number of machines, I suggest you deploy
> a small configuration (maybe 3 controllers 1 compute) and then run the
> overcloud deploy command again with 2 computes, so on and so forth
> until you reach your full allocation
>
> Realistically you can probably do a stride of 5 computes each time,
> experiment with it a bit, as you get up to the full allocation of
> nodes you might run into a race condition bug with assigning computes
> to nodes and need to pin nodes (pinning is adding as an ironic
> property that overcloud-novacompute-0 goes here, 1 here, so on and so
> forth).
>
> As for actually solving the deployment issues at scale (instead of
> this horrible hack) I'm looking into adding some robustness at the
> ironic or tripleo level to these operations. It sounds like you're
> running more into node assignment issues rather than pxe issues though.

> <lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com <mailto:lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 8:30 PM, Charles Short <cems at ebi.ac.uk
>     <mailto:cems at ebi.ac.uk>> wrote:
>     > Some more testing of different amounts of nodes vs time taken
>     for successful
>     > deployments -
>     >
>     > 3 controller 3 compute = 1 hour
>     > 3 controller 15 compute = 1 hour
>     > 3 controller 25 compute  = 1 hour 45 mins
>     > 3 controller 35 compute  = 4 hours
>
>     Hello,
>
>     i'm now preparing my deployment of 3+2 nodes. I'll check what you
>     reported and give you some feedback.
>
>     Luca
>

>     --
>     "E' assurdo impiegare gli uomini di intelligenza eccellente per fare
>     calcoli che potrebbero essere affidati a chiunque se si usassero delle
>     macchine"
>     Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibnitz, Filosofo e Matematico (1646-1716)
>
>     "Internet è la più grande biblioteca del mondo.
>     Ma il problema è che i libri sono tutti sparsi sul pavimento"
>     John Allen Paulos, Matematico (1945-vivente)
>
>     Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto, http://www.remixtj.net ,
>     <lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com <mailto:lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com>>

Charles Short
Cloud Engineer