[rdo-list] RDO at PTG or OpenStack Summit?

Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 16:58:25 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 6:35 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com> wrote:
[cut]
> I can see good arguments for each, including my personal travel plans
> ;-) but I would like to hear from the rest of you - if I try to do
> another event like what we did Tuesday evening in Barcelona, which event
> makes more sense?

For what it's worth, i'll give my opinion about it:

Everything depends which is the target of the event, and what you
consider as community.
I'm not a developer and not being involved in RDO activities. I'm an
user of RDO packages and
I'll try to help, when possible, with testing.
This will result in no interest to join PTG and additionally my
company will never allow me to join this kind
of events since developing for openstack is not what they expect me to
do. On the other hand joining summits
instead will be more easy (in Europe for sure) since is classified as
training (and funded appropriately).

I think that getting in touch with developers will deliver a greater
value to me because will allow to understand better some internals
and will help me to move around in the projects. This will also help
me to forbear a deep integration with vendor for using openstack.
In my opinion using an opensource product through a vendor and without
joining the community is like using closed-source software.
You cannot take advantage from the openness.

TL;DR: I'd like to have a meeting at summits like the one held in
Barcelona (the only summit i attended) because I'd like to get in
touch
with the developers and with other RDO users.

--
"E' assurdo impiegare gli uomini di intelligenza eccellente per fare
calcoli che potrebbero essere affidati a chiunque se si usassero delle

"Internet è la più grande biblioteca del mondo.
Ma il problema è che i libri sono tutti sparsi sul pavimento"
John Allen Paulos, Matematico (1945-vivente)

Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto, http://www.remixtj.net , <lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com>