[rdo-list] RDO at PTG or OpenStack Summit?

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Tue Nov 1 09:51:05 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 10/31/2016 06:35 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>>
>> As you no doubt know by now ... well, I'll just quote from another list:
>>
>> <quote>
>> As you probably already know, the OpenStack Foundation is restructuring
>> its events in 2017, splitting the activities that traditionally occurred
>> at the Design Summit event into work sessions (at the "Project Teams
>> Gathering" at the start of the cycle) and open community discussions
>> ("Forum" at the OpenStack Summit in the middle of the cycle). You can
>> learn more about this at http://www.openstack.org/ptg
>> </quote>
>>
>> At the last several OpenStack Summits, the RDO community has hosted some
>> kind of meetup, and of course last week, we had an evening gathering
>> that we shared with the Ceph community, where we had 215 people in
>> attendance.
>>
>> With OpenStack Summit splitting in two, I'm left uncertain what, if
>> anything, I should be planning for 2017. Will most of the RDO community
>> attend the PTG, or OpenStack Summit? At which one of these does it make
>> the most sense to try to do an RDO gathering, if at all?
>

> People refuse to agree with that, but speaking realistically, you cannot
> expect a huge developer's attendance on summits any more. I personally only
> plan to be at PTGs from now on, unless my employer has some different plans
> for me ;)
>
> I'd like to second the idea of having a technical meetup at PTGs.

Is there any chance there would be room during the cross-project days
(Monday and Tuesday, IIRC) for an actual RDO dev session? I know it's
a bit strange to do this for a distro, but there are a lot of topics
-- packaging, CI, etc. -- that would benefit from exposure to the
upstream teams.

--Hugh

  ,       ,    | Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com
  )-_"""_-(    | Director of Engineering, OpenStack Management
 ./ o\ /o \.   | TripleO: Install, configure, and scale OpenStack.
. \__/ \__/ .  | http://rdoproject.org, http://tripleo.org
... - - - ...  | "I know that you believe you understand what you
 .   - -   .   | think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what
  `-.....-´    | you heard is not what I meant." --Robert McCloskey
 "TripleOwl"