[Rdo-list] Configuration publishing, organisation of the repo

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 20:58:46 UTC 2016

Le mercredi 16 mars 2016 à 14:26 -0400, David Moreau Simard a écrit :
> So I tentatively made an attempt to push stuff through to see what it
> would look like.
>
> Here's what I came up with:
> - ansible-role-rdobase [1]
> -- Sets up basic things like packages we'd expect to be installed
> everywhere, sets up SSH config, users, MOTD
> - ansible-role-rdomonitoring [2]
> -- Sets up sensu master server and client servers for monitoring
> - ansible-role-rdobot [3]
> -- Sets up rdobot [4], a bot to broadcast relevant monitoring alerts to channels
> - rdo-monitoring [5]
> -- The playbooks that consume the above roles (retrieved through
> ansible-galaxy install -r requirements.yml) and a static host
> inventory
> -- Has a config.yml stripped of _sensitive_ information, still need to
> figure out where we want to put that

> Does this layout make sense ? I feel it's simple enough and galaxy
> makes it easy to collect dependencies.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/rdo-infra/ansible-role-rdobase
> [2]: https://github.com/rdo-infra/ansible-role-rdomonitoring
> [3]: https://github.com/rdo-infra/ansible-role-rdobot
> [4]: https://github.com/rdo-infra/rdobot
> [5]: https://github.com/rdo-infra/rdo-monitoring

So it make sense to me, modulo a few stuff:

- rdobase make sense, but I still like to have stuff more split. See
https://github.com/gluster/gluster.org_ansible_configuration/tree/master/roles/base/tasks
for what i use (I should also place one for ssh keys)
and
https://github.com/gluster/gluster.org_ansible_configuration/blob/master/playbooks/deploy_base.yml

- I would also like to discuss if we can pin dependencies (all or just
part of them), either by tagging version, or using branch. I am not sure
ansible-galaxy do support it now (or at least fully support what I
want), but I am quite sure this is planned (as it was discussed during a
meeting last month in London). So we should maybe investigate that
model.

Also, for various work reasons, I was also looking at transitioning my
duty and part of the project (better now than later) to a new member of
my team, as I do have some more urgent stuff to finish, and need to
scale myself (so i figured that it would be better to do that in a
project where he wouldn't be alone).

I will give details later, and let Rich help for that. Of course, people
can still ping me anyway but the idea is to have more than just me from
the OSAS/sysadmin side.

--
Michael Scherer