[rdo-list] Packstack refactor and future ideas

Boris Derzhavets bderzhavets at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 20 13:35:52 UTC 2016

________________________________
From: Javier Pena <javier.pena at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2016 7:44 AM
To: Boris Derzhavets
Cc: rdo-list; alan pevec
Subject: Re: [rdo-list] Packstack refactor and future ideas

----- Original Message -----

This is a tricky one. There used to be support for separate CONFIG_STORAGE_HOSTS, but I think it has been removed (or at least not tested for quite a long time).

    However, this feature currently works for RDO Mitaka ( as well it woks for Liberty)
    It's even possible to add Storage Node via packstack , taking care of glance and swift proxy
    keystone endpoints manually .
        For small prod deployments like several (5-10) Haswell Xeon boxes. ( no HA requirements from
   customer's side ).  Ability to split Storage specifically Swift (AIO) instances or Cinder iSCSILVM
   back ends hosting Node from Controller is extremely critical feature.
   What I am writing is based on several projects committed in South America's countries.
   No complaints from site support stuff to myself for configurations deployed via Packstack.
   Dropping this feature ( unsupported , but stable working ) will for sure make Packstack
   almost useless toy .
       In situation when I am able only play with TripleO QuickStart  due to Upstream docs
( Mitaka trunk instructions set) for instack-virt-setup don't allow to commit
`openstack undercloud install` makes Howto :-

       https://remote-lab.net/rdo-manager-ha-openstack-deployment

<https://remote-lab.net/rdo-manager-ha-openstack-deployment>   non reproducible. I have nothing against TripleO turn, but absence of Red Hat
   high quality manuals  for TripleO bare metal / TripleO Instak-virt-setup
   will affect RDO Community in wide spread way.  I mean first all countries
   like Chile, Brazil, China and etc.

   Thank you.
   Boris.

This would need to be a follow-up review, if it is finally decided to do so.

Regards,
Javier