[Rdo-list] Openstack deployed in Openstack and 'external' access

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 20:56:34 UTC 2016

On 02/18/2016 07:41 AM, Charles Short wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I successfully deployed RDO Manager Liberty HA with VLANS  on some HP
> blades + in-chassis switches with trunked VLANs ports (call this OBM
> (Openstack Bare Metal))
> I wanted to deploy a test Openstack environment within this (call this
> OV (Openstack Virtual))
> So I created two instances in OBM, and used packstack to roll out one
> controller and one compute node configured with vxlan tenant networks.
> This all worked and I can fire up an instance in OV, and it gets an ip.
> I then created an external network in OV with a VLAN id that matches an
> OBM network. The plan was to access an instance in OV from an instance
> in OBM.
> Problem is that the OV external network gateway is down, and after
> assigning a floating ip to the OV instance I have no access to or from
> it. I can only get to it from the network namespace on the OV
> controller (ip netns exec....)
> I have previously got this Openstack nested visualization working in
> VMware (vCloud) by enabling promiscuous mode on dvs portgoup, and also
> enabling promisc on the virtual interfaces of the virtual Openstack
> controllers.
>
> I tried enabling promiscuous mode on the OV controllers interfaces (OBM
> instances), but this seemed to make no difference.
>
> Any tips? Is this possible?
>
> Thanks
>
> Charles
>

>From the information that I have, promiscuous mode is part of the
solution, but other options are required. You have to enable promiscous
mode, mac address changes and forged retransmits.

After all, all of these things are things that the Neutron does as part
of its job.

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc%2FGUID-74E2059A-CC5E-4B06-81B5-3881C80E46CE.html

Note that I haven't tested this personally, so if this helps you, or if
you figure out the solution, please update the list with your finding.

--
Dan Sneddon         |  Principal OpenStack Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/openstack