[Rdo-list] Openstack deployed in Openstack and 'external' access

Charles Short cems at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Feb 18 15:41:27 UTC 2016

Hi,

I successfully deployed RDO Manager Liberty HA with VLANS  on some HP
blades + in-chassis switches with trunked VLANs ports (call this OBM
(Openstack Bare Metal))
I wanted to deploy a test Openstack environment within this (call this
OV (Openstack Virtual))
So I created two instances in OBM, and used packstack to roll out one
controller and one compute node configured with vxlan tenant networks.
This all worked and I can fire up an instance in OV, and it gets an ip.
I then created an external network in OV with a VLAN id that matches an
OBM network. The plan was to access an instance in OV from an instance
in OBM.
Problem is that the OV external network gateway is down, and after
assigning a floating ip to the OV instance I have no access to or from
it. I can only get to it from the network namespace on the OV controller
(ip netns exec....)
I have previously got this Openstack nested visualization working in
VMware (vCloud) by enabling promiscuous mode on dvs portgoup, and also
enabling promisc on the virtual interfaces of the virtual Openstack
controllers.

I tried enabling promiscuous mode on the OV controllers interfaces (OBM
instances), but this seemed to make no difference.

Any tips? Is this possible?

Thanks

Charles

--