[Rdo-list] Failing to deploy Mitaka on baremetal

Raoul Scarazzini rasca at redhat.com
Mon Feb 8 11:01:29 UTC 2016

Hi David,
you are absolutely right, I did too many assumptions. First of all I'm
installing everything with rdo-manager, using an identical set of
configurations that came from my previous (working) osp-director 8 setup.

Things seems to fail on compute node verifications. Specifically here:

Feb 05 16:37:23 overcloud-novacompute-0 os-collect-config[6014]:
[2016-02-05 16:37:23,707] (heat-config) [ERROR] Error running
/var/lib/heat-config/heat-config-script/a435044e-9be8-42ea-8b03-92bee12b3d23.
[1]

Looking that script I identified two different actions:

1) # For each unique remote IP (specified via Heat) we check to
# see if one of the locally configured networks matches and if so we
# attempt a ping test the remote network IP.

2) # Ping all default gateways. There should only be one
# if using upstream t-h-t network templates but we test
# all of them should some manual network config have
# multiple gateways.

And in fact after a verification I'm not able to reach compute nodes
from controllers or other computes inside one of the
InternalApiAllocationPools (172.17.0) or TenantAllocationPools (172.16.0).

I'm using a specific network setup, as I said the same one I was using
with osp-director 8. So I've got a specific network-management.yaml file
in which I've specified these settings:

resource_registry:
  OS::TripleO::BlockStorage::Net::SoftwareConfig:
/home/stack/nic-configs/cinder-storage.yaml
  OS::TripleO::Compute::Net::SoftwareConfig:
/home/stack/nic-configs/compute.yaml
  OS::TripleO::Controller::Net::SoftwareConfig:
/home/stack/nic-configs/controller.yaml
  OS::TripleO::ObjectStorage::Net::SoftwareConfig:
/home/stack/nic-configs/swift-storage.yaml
  OS::TripleO::CephStorage::Net::SoftwareConfig:
/home/stack/nic-configs/ceph-storage.yaml

parameter_defaults:
  # Customize the IP subnets to match the local environment
  InternalApiNetCidr: 172.17.0.0/24
  StorageNetCidr: 172.18.0.0/24
  StorageMgmtNetCidr: 172.19.0.0/24
  TenantNetCidr: 172.16.0.0/24
  ExternalNetCidr: 172.20.0.0/24
  ControlPlaneSubnetCidr: '24'
  InternalApiAllocationPools: [{'start': '172.17.0.10', 'end':
'172.17.0.200'}]
  StorageAllocationPools: [{'start': '172.18.0.10', 'end': '172.18.0.200'}]
  StorageMgmtAllocationPools: [{'start': '172.19.0.10', 'end':
'172.19.0.200'}]
  TenantAllocationPools: [{'start': '172.16.0.10', 'end': '172.16.0.200'}]
  ExternalAllocationPools: [{'start': '172.20.0.10', 'end': '172.20.0.200'}]
  # Specify the gateway on the external network.
  ExternalInterfaceDefaultRoute: 172.20.0.254
  # Gateway router for the provisioning network (or Undercloud IP)
  ControlPlaneDefaultRoute: 192.0.2.1
  # Generally the IP of the Undercloud
  EC2MetadataIp: 192.0.2.1
  DnsServers: ["10.1.241.2"]
  InternalApiNetworkVlanID: 2201
  StorageNetworkVlanID: 2203
  StorageMgmtNetworkVlanID: 2204
  TenantNetworkVlanID: 2202
  ExternalNetworkVlanID: 2205
  # Floating IP networks do not have to use br-ex, they can use any
bridge as long as the NeutronExternalNetworkBridge is set to "''".
  NeutronExternalNetworkBridge: "''"

# Variables in "parameters" apply an actual value to one of the
top-level params
parameters:
  # The OVS logical->physical bridge mappings to use. Defaults to
mapping br-ex - the external bridge on hosts - to a physical name
'datacentre' which can be used
  # to create provider networks (and we use this for the default
floating network) - if changing this either use different post-install
network scripts or be sure
  # to keep 'datacentre' as a mapping network name.
  # Unfortunately this option is overridden by the command line, due to
a limitation (that will be fixed), so even declaring this won't have effect.
  # See overcloud-deploy.sh for all the explenations.
  #
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/master/overcloud-without-mergepy.yaml#L112
  NeutronBridgeMappings: "datacentre:br-floating"

Obviously the controller.yaml was modified to reflect my needs, as
described here [1] and as you can see, I don't have declared a
ManagementNetworkVlan, since before this was not needed.
So the first question is: what is this new network and how it
differentiate from the other networks actually available? Can this
affect communications that before were working?

Many thanks

[1]
https://github.com/rscarazz/openstack/blob/master/ospd-network-isolation-considerations.md

--