[Rdo-list] [Softwarefactory-dev] Gitnetics integration, or how can we automate upstream changes polling

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Feb 4 15:49:38 UTC 2016

On 02/04/2016 12:31 PM, Haïkel wrote:
> I do not have the whole context, so this is just few comments:
> 1. we're trying to split the OPM behemoth and goal is to converge to
> the point where we don't need any downstream patches.
> 2. until then, we can just use our own mirrors instead of upstream
> 3. depending how much time, it'll take, it would be worth considering
> having vanilla puppet modules packages available for testing
> Moreover associated w/ delorean, it will help us to catch glitches as
> soon as puppet modules gets broken.
> 4. I don't like cherry-pick upstream commits on top of own branches,
> it only encourage us to widen the gap with upstream.

While we're pushing "upstream first", we'll probably have custom
patches, for the long term maintenance process.
I don't say "I want to have downstream-only patches", I just say "we
need to be able to backport upstream patches to our downstream branches,
because not all upstream projects accepts backports to stable branches.

For example in Puppet modules: Upstream accepts backports until
stable/kilo but not after. What if we have a case where we need to do so?

Big +1 to reduce to 0 the number of downstream-only patches, but we
might want to be able to have some process allowing us to do it for
exceptions.

> If we aim to be the first (as in excellence) vanilla distribution of
> OpenStack, no exception for puppet modules. If upstream model is
> broken, for us, then fix it.
> We've been working with Emilien (upstream Puppet Module PTL) to fix
> upstream CI w/ RDO, so it's doable.

Yeah, it's doable, though the upstream backport policy is not the same
as we have in RDO I guess.
--
Emilien Macchi