[rdo-list] Tempest Packaging in RDO

Javier Pena javier.pena at redhat.com
Tue Aug 30 08:02:57 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----
> Hi everyone,
>
> As a follow-up from the conversations that we had on the irc, I wanted
> to summarize the current issues and possible actions. As we ran out of
> time during the meeting I'd really appreciate some feedback on this.
>
> 1) Tempest Plugins
>
> With the current situation (project package and project-test package) we
> do install the entry point with the main package, even if the
> sub-package is not installed. In this case, Tempest will discover the
> test entry point without the code and fail.
>
> On this, I'd propose to integrate-back the -tests packages for the
> in-tree plugins, even if it would mean adding some more dependencies to
> them and remove tempest requirement as a dependency for out-tree ones
> (i.e. Designate[2] or tempest-horizon[3]), which will get rid of any
> circular dependency.

I'd really like to remove the tempest dependency for designate-tests and horizon-tests soon, at least to unblock part of the issues (not being able to properly test designate/horizon without pulling the whole Tempest lot with it).

> This seems to breaks RPM logic. This is only to allow mixing packages
> and git/pip installations which is a source of troubles. At best, it
> could be a temporary measure. If it's about circular dependencies, RPM
> knows how to handle them, and the best way to break them would be
> plugins requiring tempest and not the reverse.
>
> We could have a a subpackage tempest-all that requires all the plugins
> for an AIO install. (alternatively: tempest requires all plugins, and
> plugins would require a tempest-core packages. tempest package being
> empty and tempest-core containing the framework)

If I understand it correctly, the main reason for having tempest depend on all test subpackages is to simplify the process for CI jobs, isn't it? If so, this tempest-all metapackage could be a good short-term solution, while we fix the bigger issues.

Javier