[rdo-list] Proposition to get more CI promotions

Alfredo Moralejo Alonso amoralej at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 10:41:07 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Javier Pena <javier.pena at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

OK, i understood "try the previous commits in reverse order", he was
referring to the same package but re-reading the mail,  you are
probably right about the proposal. This approach is easier and better,
as we don't break consistency and don't need any trick in dlrn side.
However, it will not work if issues of different packages overlap (as
we had last week, in fact we were discussing on irc about setting a
specific hash but at that time there was not "sane" repo), but
probably may help in some cases.

>> - When a package is pinned to a specific commit or version, we stop
>> packaging and testing any new commit, so we are delaying and piling
>> the detection of new issues that may appear in the package.
>> - Currently, DLRN doesn't manage properly moving back to a previous
>> commit whenever a new one has been built. It requires manual
>> error-prone tasks to be performed on the dlrn instance (anyway it'd be
>> probably a good idea to implement this us.
>>
>> IMO, we shouldn't use this as a systematic approach for managing
>> versions in our repos to enforce promotions but only as last resort
>> for exceptional cases. Anyway, it's probably a good idea to improve
>> dlrn to implement this use case in a easier and cleaner way.
>>

> This requires some good thinking. Right now, the only way I know is to fiddle with the DLRN database, which is quite scary and can lead to inconsistencies. Maybe we can come up with a better approach.

Yeap, it's probably not an easy change but i think it's still worthy
to do it as I'm pretty sure we'll find scenarios were we'll need it,
don't you think so?