[rdo-list] RDO CI hardware requirements for CentOS altarch

Boris Derzhavets bderzhavets at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 13 05:06:20 UTC 2016

________________________________
From: rdo-list-bounces at redhat.com <rdo-list-bounces at redhat.com> on behalf of Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 4:30 PM
To: Xiandong Meng; David Moreau Simard
Cc: rdo-list
Subject: Re: [rdo-list] RDO CI hardware requirements for CentOS altarch

note that a key element to the messaging from our side is that the
content is tested the way users use the code, not the way developers
deliver the code - so ideally, we want to get down to baremetal
deployments and validating distro v/s rdo and rdo v/s distro.

> we typically see hundreds of bare metal deployments per day for rdo /
> cloud SIG, and at the very least we should make an effort to sync
> across the arch's if we can.

In regards of RDO how much is percentage of TripleO bare metal
deployments  per Mitaka ( per Liberty ) ?
If this info is closed by some reasons , sorry for question been asked.

Thanks.
Boris

>so, as we work through what needs doing, lets make sure we factor in
>the user story we want to deliver at the other end.

Regards

On 11/08/16 09:05, Xiandong Meng wrote:
> [...]
> PackStack and OpenStack-Puppet path as each Triple-O scenario will
> need about 90 minutes. (So the shortest time is limited to 90
> minutes assuming we maximize the parallelism level. )
>
> Now i need some input about the resource requirements for Triple-O
> test scenarios.
>

> Regards,
>
> Alex Meng<mailto:mengxiandong at gmail.com> mengxiandong at gmail.com
> <mailto:mengxiandong at gmail.com>
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 4:11 PM, David Moreau Simard
> <dms at redhat.com <mailto:dms at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
> Right now the jobs are sequenced as outlined in the pipeline [1].
>
> First, the job "rdo-promote-get-hash-master" will run. If it is
> successful, it triggers the next "stage" of the pipeline. Then, the
> job "tripleo-quickstart-promote-master-delorean-build-images" will
> run. If it is successfull, it triggers the next "stage" of the
> pipeline. After that you have 8 jobs that, if capacity allows
> (usually the case), will all run simultaneously. Otherwise, builds
> can be queued until a slave can process them. ... and so on.
>
> We can't realistically run all these jobs in a sequence.
> Considering they complete in 45 minutes (or more), we'd be looking
> at a pipeline of over 6 hours of builds.
>
> [1]:
> https://ci.centos.org/view/rdo/view/promotion-pipeline/job/rdo-delorean-promote-master/

<https://ci.centos.org/view/rdo/view/promotion-pipeline/job/rdo-delorean-promote-master/>

> David Moreau Simard Senior Software Engineer | Openstack RDO
>
> dmsimard = [irc, github, twitter]
>

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:52 PM, Xiandong Meng
> <mengxiandong at gmail.com <mailto:mengxiandong at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> OK, i mean on the same time, how many concurrent CI jobs may be
> running? For
>> example, at peak load, will
> weirdo-master-promote-packstack-scenario001 ,
>> weirdo-master-promote-packstack-scenario002 ,
>> weirdo-master-promote-packstack-scenario003 run at the same
>> time?
> Or they
>> will run in sequence by design?
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Alex Meng mengxiandong at gmail.com <mailto:mengxiandong at gmail.com>
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 2:50 PM, David Moreau Simard
> <dms at redhat.com <mailto:dms at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Alex,
>>>
>>> Can you expand on what you mean by that ? The concurrency (or
>>> lack thereof) of the jobs are more about the design of the job
>>> itself -- or the environment it is run from as well as the
>>> environment it is run on.
>>>
>>> The jobs part of the promotion pipeline [1] run a couple times
> per day.
>>>
>>> [1]: https://ci.centos.org/view/rdo/view/promotion-pipeline/
> <https://ci.centos.org/view/rdo/view/promotion-pipeline/>
>>>
>>> David Moreau Simard Senior Software Engineer | Openstack RDO
>>>
>>> dmsimard = [irc, github, twitter]
>>>

>>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 9:45 PM, Xiandong Meng

Karanbir Singh, Project Lead, The CentOS Project
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.centos.org/ | twitter.com/CentOS

Karanbir Singh