[rdo-list] Overcloud pacemaker services restart behavior causes downtime

Ilja Maslov imaslov at dispersivegroup.com
Fri Aug 5 15:53:38 UTC 2016

Hi,

I can’t seem to be able to reproduce your scenario from the bug #1364129.

Stopped cluster on a controller then rebooted while tailing neutron server log and nova conductor and API logs on the other two nodes.
Did this with all 3 controllers and was clicking in Horizon while the server was rebooting.
Logs show connectivity lost and 4 dead neutron agents, but things re-connect upon reboot as expected.
Horizon works OK, when I rebooted second and third nodes, got kicked out of horizon and had to log in again.
Saw a warning in neutron server.log about keystonemiddleware.auth_token Usin the in-process toke cache is deprecated as of 4.2.0 release … (this error only appeared during two reboot tests, when I was kicked out of horizon)

Now, pcs status had recovered completely after all reboots, but ceph status shows HEALTH_WARN clock skew detected on <two of the nodes>

This got me looking into the clock synchronization.  TripleO installs and configured ntpd, but my tripleo-built images also have chronyd installed and enabled.  The result is that ntpd.service  configured with my NTP server is inactive (dead) and chronyd.service with default centos configuration is running.

I use the same package versions you’ve reported in the bug, could it be that nova/neutron/glance restarts you experience are related to cluster time sync problems?

Let me know if you’d like to compare our environments or if I can help in any other way.

Cheers,
Ilja